virtualized COM requests failed to launch - Although the setting LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED is true RRS feed

• Question

• Dear folk,

i've a issue with APP-V Office 2007. Wenn I've tried to launch Excel /Word.. via createobject("Excel.Application") , I've got an error.
    All of the OSDs of the Office 2007 Package are enabling LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED.

What should I also do to launch a COM request?

Thank you in Advance and best Regards

Mai
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

as Znack wrote, I asume that you'd have to launch your application from within the Office Virtual Environment. To do so, you either could create a new shortcut (application) within the original Office package - or you create a new Virtual application that uses Dynamic Suite Composition (DSC) to link its Virtual Environment with the Office Virtual Environment.

You don't have to put your application into the VE. Instead, you can call a locally installed application from within a VE (following the same concept that is used when you sequencing Internet Explorer Plug Ins.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 8, 2010 6:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Regardless of the above tag - I am wondering where you execute that?

The operating system doesn't know about the Excel.Application I would guess, so unless you execute such a command within the virtual environment - I would assume it fails.

/Znack
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Hi Znack,

i'd like to launch my Excel application via a WSH script (VBS), for example - creating a new workbook with a template embedded macro.
    set oExcel = createobject("Excel.Application")
    Set xlWbk = oExcel.workbooks.Add (Template:=STemplateFullPath).RunAutoMacro Which:=xlAutoOpen

This script is not working in the virtualization environmment because of the failing COM object. This script is running on the system,on which office is installed localy.

Thank you and best Regards

Mai
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 10:35 AM
  • Hello,

I would say you should use a command-line to star the application instea of using that.

But really not sure what your setup is since office is installed locally, and how this all relates to virtualization?

/Znack
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:33 AM
  • Hi,

as Znack wrote, I asume that you'd have to launch your application from within the Office Virtual Environment. To do so, you either could create a new shortcut (application) within the original Office package - or you create a new Virtual application that uses Dynamic Suite Composition (DSC) to link its Virtual Environment with the Office Virtual Environment.

You don't have to put your application into the VE. Instead, you can call a locally installed application from within a VE (following the same concept that is used when you sequencing Internet Explorer Plug Ins.

Falko
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, March 8, 2010 6:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 1:49 PM
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi Znack,

office 2007 isn't installed locally, when on the computer virtualized Office 2007 already exists. I need these script to launch excel to create a new workbook based on a existing template with macro.

This script wasn't worked on the virtualized environment, but it will be launch fine on locally installed office 2007 computer.

Thank you in advance

Mai
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

the same script should be able to launch on locally and virtualized installed Office 2007. What sort of Plugins for the COM Object requests do you mean?

Mai
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:07 PM
  • Hello,

OK - despite any needs, wants and shoulds - lets discuss App-v in general.

App-v offers a way to virtualize, meaning a non-invasive way to execute applications.

What is placed on the system in order to actually execute them?
    Well, a shortcut and some registry keys that in effect are the only knowledge that the OS has about the application.

Now, what does that mean for the script you are making? Well - the COM-object would only be visible in the virtual environment, where you script does not seem to be executed in.

There are several ways of working with this - one as suggested with kirk_tn - that could offer a working situation for you.

I would dig around to understand more of what you are trying todo, what needs to be in-place for it to happen and what ways this could be adapted to the app-v way of things, perhaps even rethink the components you are trying to involve here...

/Znack
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 8:31 PM