none
MS Project redraw - can it be disabled? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear projecteers,

I am using MSP 2010. I have a plan, not that large - about 250 lines. The problem is the performance, whenever it redraws it takes forever, I can't use the mouse and do anything else in another program, I just have to wait and it a long wait - 20 -40 seconds. Is there any way to disable this - especially needed when creating as it needs to redraw all the time.

OR can I interrupt it and stop the process?

Thank you......................... liz

• Edited by lizat Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:02 AM

All replies

• Sorry Liz but I didn't understand the question, you mentioned "redraw" what does it mean, are you referring to save process or what?

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:09 AM
  • You can turn off the auto calculation. It is in the Project Options dialog box (File | Options), just turn off "Calculate project after each edit" in Calculation section of the Schedule tab. Hit F9 whenever you see "Calculation: Needed" in the Status Bar. There may be other reasons for the slow performance. Do you experience the same issue with the other plans ?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Sapna,

When changing a task or even when a dialogue box has been used the gantt chart redrwsa - it even does this when absolutrely unnecessary for example when changing the format of the data columns on the left of the gantt. It is hugely frustarting and the more so because it completely freezes everything so i can skip to a different app and do something else while it sorts itself out.

thank you.................liz

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:18 AM
  • i have already turned of calculation it doesn't make any difference. It is all plans. My machine at work is not super fast but good and should be  perfectly adequate - although it would be good to know the recommended memory for optimal use of project.

As if to prove a point in the middle of typing this reply project "decided" to redraw and hence froze everything, i was typing this so nothing should have been initiating such an action.

Plus, and I have just done this, when I get the Summary Task Information dialogue up it decides to redrw the gantt BEHIND the dialogue making everything unusable untill it has finished, what is the point of this!

I have seen other discussions and comments about this "feature" but no solution except for one guy who was trying to turn it off using VBA.

I wish I could insert this smiley (growley)! :-( :-( :-(

liz

thank you.................liz

• Edited by lizat Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:26 AM
  • How is it with the other Office applications ? Have you tried repairing the installation ?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:43 AM
  • i think this has nothing to do with Project.  20-40 seconds for screen refresh is clearly unacceptable is probably a flaw with the system or machine (graphics card, memory, perhaps corrupted hard disk, etc.).  It also could be due to insufficient memory for Windows and Project.  

You don't say what size memory or version of Windows you have; but I am happy with Windows 7 32-bit and Project 2010 on a vintage machine (3-4 years old) with 4 gb  memory.  

As suggested by others, try a Repair of Project, perhaps go to a previous Windows system restore point (from before when the problem started), look at what happens if you turn off other apps especially anti-malware software, etc.

Finally, you might simply want to reinstall Windows and everything onto a reformatted disk to just use brute force to fix the problem. Often that more effective and much faster than figuring out the flaw.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:09 AM
  • :) Can see the growley icon :) hope you are patched with latest updates, check this CU - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536590 I guess it seems you are editing the Summary Task's Finish Date which may not be satisfying the linkages and hence the date rolling up to summary task; I have seen these incidents that when date at Summary are manually edited and lead to conflicts in schedule algorithm sometimes application freezes; also check if there is some conflict arising from Calendars. 

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:14 AM