Problem Event: Startup Repair Offline RRS feed

• Question

• Have pity on this nearly 60 year old, definitely non-technical person. I have no clue how to fix this.

Five years ago, I bought a Gateway all-in-one PC, preloaded with the Windows 7 operating system. When I was offered the chance to upgrade to Windows 10, I did so. I haven't had any problems with my PC until last week.

One morning last week, I went to turn on my computer and the screen was black and told me to use the boot disks. I followed the screen prompts and used the various system, recovery and language discs that came with my PC. Everything appeared to be following the expected protocol, but the system was hung up for 14 hours at 99% recovery. I tried again (of course) with the same results. Both times, I chose the option that created a folder where all of my documents, pictures, etc., were stored in a backup folder before the recovery commenced.

I figured I had nothing to lose so I forged onwards. Now I couldn't tell you how I did this, but somehow I think I tried to recover my computer in safe mode and received the following error message:

Problem Event Name

Startup Repair Offline

Prob Sig 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Prob Sig 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Prob Sig 03: unk

Prob Sig 04: 0

Prob Sig 05: Auto Failover

Prob Sig 06: 1

Prob Sig 07: Failure During Setup

OS Ver 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I have no clue what to do. I went out and bought another computer, but I'd like to be able to recover the old one. Is there anything a non-technical person can do to fix this?

TIA 

Saturday, September 2, 2017 9:30 PM

All replies

• When you power on now what do you see on the monitor?

Are you able to see the windows icon with rotating dots?

Are you able to get to wall paper/splash screen?

Are you able to get to logon?

Are you able to get to desktop?

Are you able to get to windows advanced troubleshooting menu?

How come you posted windows 7 when you had upgraded to windows 10?

Did you want to return to windows 7 or remain with windows 10?

What is the history of the drive?  Were there any known drive problems? 

Had you recently checked the drive with any of the SMART, short, or long generic tests?

Find some flash drives that you can format.

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Sunday, September 3, 2017 6:30 AM
  • Did you updated the system or driver before the black screen appeared? What option did you tried in the following System Recovery Option?

However, I don't recommend you use Windows7 disc to recovery the system.

You can try to boot into WinRE firstly and repair your computer by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt run as administrator:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\  /offwindir=d:\windows(the drive letter may change)

Chkdsk /f /r

After that, try to restart your computer again. If the issue still exists, I consider it may be caused by the corrupted recovery image.

I suggest you can perform an in-place upgrade and you should firstly download the Widows 10 media from here:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

A lot of references that can help you to create bootable USB media from ISO for Windows 10.

If you have further problem, feel free to contact me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 4, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Vivian,

If you are able to use the computers windows advanced troubleshooting menu and open command prompt then administrator X and type the above commands 

what happens if you have multiple drives:  c, d, e etc.  

when you don't designate a drive which one is it working on?

Instead if you boot to a windows 10 iso and open command prompt then administrator X and type the same commands again what happens if you have multiple drives:  c,d, e etc?

When you don't designate a drive which one is working on?

Are both examples going to work on the same drive or different drive when no drive letter is specified?

Monday, September 4, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Thanks for advising and I have changed my post.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 4, 2017 10:22 AM
  •                   

When you power on now what do you see on the monitor?

Are you able to see the windows icon with rotating dots? YES

Are you able to get to wall paper/splash screen? NO

Are you able to get to logon? NO

Are you able to get to desktop? NO

Are you able to get to windows advanced troubleshooting menu? NO

How come you posted windows 7 when you had upgraded to windows 10? I thought I would have to get back to the operating system that was on my PC when I bought it (I'm not tech savvy. AT ALL)

Did you want to return to windows 7 or remain with windows 10? Stay with Windows 10

What is the history of the drive?  Were there any known drive problems? No

Had you recently checked the drive with any of the SMART, short, or long generic tests? No

Find some flash drives that you can format.

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Tried it but the system won't boot from it.

<input id="1acbb215-5963-45cb-b6a8-cd785333bb42_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />
    Sunday, September 03, 2017 6:30 AM

GameofMo

Monday, September 11, 2017 9:20 PM
  • None of these worked.

When I turn on the PC, I get the windows flag and message that setup is updated registry settings, then setup is starting services, then windows could not finish configuring the system, to attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer, and, finally,  setup will resume after restarting the computer.

If I try any of the safe mode options, I get a series of command prompts the flash by, followed by "windows could not finish configuring the system, to attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer, and then. setup will resume after restarting the computer.

Tried the Windows 10 Installation Media and when I hit F12 on start up, I told it to read from the DVD with that file on it, and it sounds like it is attempting to read from the DVD, then goes to the "windows could not finish configuring the system...etc."

GameofMo

Monday, September 11, 2017 9:39 PM
  • In order to boot from a device you will need to click the applicable F key based on computer manufacturer.

If it is a custom computer then you will need to open the bios menu and change the boot order so that the USB flash drive is on top.

Once you are able to boot to the USB drive you then have more options.

You can make additional USB boot devices:

1) Memtest86+ version 5.01

2) Ubuntu or Linnux

Most often USB3 ports are blue and USB2 ports are black.  So try to boot using USB2.

This is a link that has the applicable F key by manufacturer:

http://www.disk-image.com/faq-bootmenu.htm

Please post information about the computer specifications:  make, model, cpu, gpu, drive, ram, etc

When you boot to windows 10 iso you will have options to:

restore

startup repair

command prompt repair options such as registry repair

restore backup image

Are your files backed up?

Had you made a backup image?

Monday, September 11, 2017 11:16 PM
  • I have been able to use F12 to get to the boot menu, and I then choose the DVD drive as the boot source. I have the Windows 10 Installation Media loaded in the DVD drive, and I've downloaded a couple of other bootable media, but the system doesn't recognize it and just goes through loading the drivers until I get the endless loop of configuration problems.

My files are toast (no big deal) and I don't have a back up image. I did have all of the recovery disks, but, as I mentioned initially, they hang up at 99% recovery. 

GameofMo

Monday, September 11, 2017 11:32 PM
  • Oops

make, GATEWAY

model, ZX6971 

• Intel Core i5-2400S Quad Core Desktop Processor
    • 6GB PC3-10600 DDR3 Memory
    • 1TB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    • 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
    • 23" WUXGA (1920x1080) Multitouch Display With Intel HD Graphics 3000 Integrated Graphics
    • Intel HDA 5.1 Audio With Stereo Speakers
    • Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless

GameofMo

Monday, September 11, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Compare a boot without the DVD to with the DVD.

Are they the same or different?

I'm wondering if you are or are not able to use the DVD.  It appears that placing the DVD in the optical drive is giving you the same result.  So the DVD may not be at the top of the boot order list.

Can you enter the bios?

Are you able to modify the bios boot order?

Can you place the bios on top and save for the next boot?

If you do that is there any change?

Do you have a camera or smart phone camera where you could post an image into the thread?

Try this as an alternative method to see what happens with the computers windows recovery.

Power on and power off as soon as you see the microsoft icon (timing is critical)

Power on again and as soon as you see the Microsoft icon power off.

Power on again.......this should take you to the computer's windows advanced troubleshooting menu.

How far does it go?

Can you get to Windows advanced troubleshooting with either:

reset with save files

reset with remove files

restore

startup repair

startup options 

command prompt

This is a third method.

Find a flash drive that you can format.

Make a Memtest86+ bootable flash drive.

http://www.memtest.org/

Boot to this drive using USB2.0 and test the RAM / DIMM /Motherboard

Memtest86+ testing is done by passes.

It is not done by time.

For a vaiid test you want to have at least 8 passes and the more the better.

It sometimes takes passes in the 20's to find malfunctioning RAM.

The Memtest86+ testing takes approximately 1 -2 hours /GB RAM

Just 1 error is a fail and you can abort testing.

Plan to run the test overnight.

When the Memtest86+ has completed 8 or more passes please use a camera or smart phone camera to take a picture and post an image into the thread.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:30 AM