none
Sharing a single Outlook 365 Exchange account between two users

Question

• This might seem counter-productive to the whole exchange philosophy, but I thought I'd ask the question anyway:

I have two users who share a single Exchange 365 account between them (admin@domain.com). The context for this is that one of the users works 2 days a week, the other 3 days. They are both receptionists/secretaries and require access to the email to field various admin-related things.

The problem they have is that when certain emails are responded to, they sign off with their own names. Then when the other person is reading emails, they delete the ones not directed at them. Obviously this then deletes the email entirely so that when the other user comes to work on their next day, any emails that may have directed at them are gone. Now I understand the easiest way to fix this is to have the users not delete emails until they've both coomunicated with each other. But I'm dealing with less-than-intelligent people here.

The company doesn't wish for the two users to have their own individual email accounts at this time. Is there any way to set the account up so that emails deleted by one user are not affected in the shared mailbox for the other user? I understand this is a really dumb way to do this and counter to the whole exchange mindset, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Oodlemeister,

>> Is there any way to set the account up so that emails deleted by one user are not affected in the shared mailbox for the other user?

Unfortunately, I am afraid this is a by default behavior which can not be changed currently.

A workaround I can think of is that you may try creating a rule to move a copy of the mails to another specific folder, so that the two users can handle mails in two separate folders.

For example:

Hope you can find this helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Oodlemeister Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:36 AM