none
Group Policy Registry Preferences To Customize Lock Screen Settings In Windows 10 Professional?

Question

• Users can change the default lock screen background from "Windows spotlight" to "Picture" in the settings menu.  The default lock screen picture is a cave, rocks and beach scene, but there are 4 other provided picture options built into Windows 10.

They can also toggle a switch to turn off Get fun facts, tips, tricks and more on your lock screen.

I assume when the user makes the selections, changes are being made in the user's HKey Current User settings.

I'd like to deploy these registry settings to multiple users as default via GPP.

How do we do this?

• Edited by MyGposts Tuesday, August 2, 2016 11:06 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 11:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

To customize lock screen by registry, you could edit the key LockScreenImage.

The path of the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

For detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

How to change default lock screen image in Windows 10

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-change-default-lock-screen-image-in-windows-10/

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:28 AM
  • I don't think that will work because it doesn't change the default lock screen from Spotlight.

What we need to do is toggle the default background from Windows Spotlight to Picture for all users.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested for this and succeed.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:39 PM
  • I don't need to change the default picture.  I need to disable Windows Spotlight by changing this setting:

and select the middle option that says "Picture"

If Windows Spotlight is selected, the lock screen image will change randomly from the default image to images that are downloaded from the internet.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:18 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the article below.

Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/windows-spotlight

Best Regards,

Jay

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Monday, September 5, 2016 6:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jay GuModerator Friday, September 9, 2016 4:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MyGposts Friday, September 9, 2016 4:36 AM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the article below.

Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/windows-spotlight

Best Regards,

Jay

This is not the answer to the question I asked.

I'm looking for a way to remotely change from Spotlight to Picture, not a a way to adjust Spotlight settings.

This change can be made locally via the GUI.  I'm looking for the registry setting that gets changed when the lock screen is set to Picture, so we can push the setting via a group policy preference registry setting.

Friday, September 9, 2016 4:38 AM