The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Can someone help me with this issue i have. my system shutdown by it self and stayed off. after booting it up, the event viewer gave me an error about a bugcheck. after reviewing the dump file. something triggered the ntoskrnl. UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. 

i ran the windbg but could not isolate the problem other than the proces name.

running windows 10 Enterprise build version 1909.

regards,

Buya.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:25 PM

All replies

• Open Command Prompt as Admin and type the following command:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter. The process might take up a few minutes to complete.

Open Command Prompt as Admin and type the following command:

Copy and paste the following command in: 

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d cpuusage.etl

Run this command for 60 seconds to capture the high CPU usage. The trace will run and then give you a warning then revert to a C:\prompt. 

The log will be stored in C:\Windows\system32 with the file name as cpuusage.etl.

You should be able to see from the diagnostic file which programs are causing the problem.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:12 PM
  • thank you for reaching out, see ouput reponse below:

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.18362.1
    Image Version: 10.0.18363.836

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d cpuusage.etl
    xperf: error: NT Kernel Logger: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0xb7).

C:\Windows\system32>

i have checked the folder but cant seem to find this file cpuusage.etl, so cant delete it as well.

dont know for sure but looks like the nt kerel logger is being used by somthing else. dont know by what though.

• Edited by Buya77 Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:42 PM updated
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, the bugcheck is 0x7f: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

This link may be helpful: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x7f--unexpected-kernel-mode-trap

Please kindly help collect below details to narrow down the issue:

1.If the machine is physical or a Virtual Machine.

2.How often does it happen? 

3.The last change made before rebooting the machine.(Patch, hardware, application update and so on.)

针对Windows 2008/2008R2的扩展支持将于2020年结束,之后微软将不再为其提供安全更新。点击此处或扫描二维码获取《在 Azure 上运行 Windows Server 的终极指南》,把握良机完成云迁移并实现业务现代化。

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:51 AM