none
Folder redirection - stop managing a user

Question

• I see lots of posts on how to revert a user from folder redirection back to the default location, by either changing the current GPO or by moving the user to a new GPO that uses basic and default profile location.  However this keeps the user "managed" and does not allow the user to change the default location.   I need to remove users from being managed as I want to move some users to OneDrive or to WorkFolders.  Both of which include changing the document location from %profile%\documents to a folder within the workfolders or onedrive for business folder.   Also, I have some users with a small SSD c drive and a larger second drive.  In those cases the onedrive or work folders location is set to the second location. 

Once we have determined what will work best for each department, we can standardize a file location and manage the users document location but for the moment, I am looking for a way to remove a user from being managed.   Note:  I have tried excluding them from the GPO, but this does not cause them to be "unmanaged"  and they do not have the ability to change their document location locally.   I would be happy if I can do this as an admin changing a registry setting or similar, ideally remotely.

Fred Zilz

Friday, September 11, 2015 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have noticed you've mentioned that "by either changing the current GPO". Not sure how exactly you did this, but to stop the old folder redirection, you will have to follow specific steps.

You should first update the GPO and set the “Policy Removal” to “Redirect the folder back to the user profile location when policy is removed”. Please note that all users who you want to stop Folder Redirection must log off and back on to any computers where they have logged on before the changes are applied. “gpupdate /force” doesn't work in this case.

After this, you can then move the users to a different organizational unit. For the detailed steps on how to stop Folder Redirection, please refer to this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/888203

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, September 14, 2015 8:14 AM
  • Yes, the first step will only update the "Policy Removal" option of the GPO to "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed", folders will still be redirected.

Next remove the user from the OU where the folder redirection GPO is applied to a different OU that does not redirect folders. This will stop the Folder Redirection on these specific users. No affect on other users.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 18, 2015 5:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have noticed you've mentioned that "by either changing the current GPO". Not sure how exactly you did this, but to stop the old folder redirection, you will have to follow specific steps.

You should first update the GPO and set the “Policy Removal” to “Redirect the folder back to the user profile location when policy is removed”. Please note that all users who you want to stop Folder Redirection must log off and back on to any computers where they have logged on before the changes are applied. “gpupdate /force” doesn't work in this case.

After this, you can then move the users to a different organizational unit. For the detailed steps on how to stop Folder Redirection, please refer to this KB article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/888203

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Monday, September 14, 2015 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Thursday, September 17, 2015 1:46 AM
  • This assumes I want to change everyone, which I do not. So I can't alter the current gpo or it will affect everyone currently using. that gpo. Second, this moves the user back to default location, but the user would still be " managed". I want them to be as though no gpo for redirect was ever applied.

Fred Zilz

Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:33 AM
  • Actually this won't change everyone, this will only update the "Policy Removal" option, won't remove the policy.

As mentioned that "After this, you can then move the users to a different organizational unit." This will remove this user out of the scope of your redirect GPO, so to speak, not be managed.

Friday, September 18, 2015 4:40 AM
  • Yes, the first step will only update the "Policy Removal" option of the GPO to "Redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed", folders will still be redirected.

Next remove the user from the OU where the folder redirection GPO is applied to a different OU that does not redirect folders. This will stop the Folder Redirection on these specific users. No affect on other users.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, September 18, 2015 5:03 AM
  • Hi Fred,

How is it going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Monday, September 21, 2015 5:11 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Thursday, September 24, 2015 3:09 AM