none
Use RoboCopy but excluding File History

Question

• I have a well-defined backup routine using RoboCopy, which I love.  But the last time I used it, it created a backup of all File History files as well - and they took up 120 GB of HDD storage that I need for other uses.

How can I prevent this?  I have no desire for File History's history of changes - I just want to copy the files as they are.  For me, that says RoboCopy.

Can you help?

Richard Tamir

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I found a thread may help you, please refer to the link:

Robocopy Exclude file types:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/919ab53c-8a86-439b-bc41-649fce8b9ba1/robocopy-exclude-file-types?forum=w7itprogeneral

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:35 AM
  • I don't think this problem fits into that hole.  Does File History have its own 3-letter format suffix, like .PDF???  I don't think so.  I think that's what the link is pointing to.

Why, all of a sudden, does Robocopy port both the basis files and their file history versions?  What changed?  This is NOT desirable from my perspective - really messes thinks up.

Grasshopper seeks enlightenment on this one.

Richard

Saturday, September 24, 2016 10:10 PM
  • Robocopy is the same as XCOPY,all files/folders get duplicated.120GB of space..Thats alot

With XCOPY,to transfer a OS on a HD,to another,the text would be in run.: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r

D: being the transfer to source

To edit,& control the files/folders,read this link at TechNet

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491035.aspx

With vista,XCOPY runs fine even though the OS says RoboCopy is available,i'd imagine Win 7 runs the same

Saturday, September 24, 2016 11:41 PM
  • You're missing the question:  how do I continue to use RoboCopy (NOT xcopy) without copying over the File History data?  That's it, plain and simple.

Richard Tamir

Sunday, October 2, 2016 12:13 PM