Deploying FAST - can't crawl RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've installed FAST and run the post config wizard - all fine

I've created the SSA as a FAST Search connector as per the doc B2FASTSEARCHDEPLOY.xps (why is xps?)

I've made the Search service account and the FAST app pool account Enterprise admins

The content distibutor and content collection name have been configured as per the Install_info.txt on the FAST server

- MOSWFE01.servertech2k8.net:13391

- sp

The SSA is created successfully - though the BASE PORT field is not present???

I am having issues verifying the crawl:

I have a Team site with 2 docs in it - I can login and view these docs:

I have created a content source and added the web app containing the Team Site

When I run the crawl I get 2 errors in evenvwr

1:

Load control template file /_controltemplates/TaxonomyPicker.ascx failed: Could not load type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.TaxonomyPicker' from assembly 'Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c'.

2:

Failed to connect to MOSWFE01.servertech2k8.net:13391 Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor

I cannot telnet to MOSWFE01.servertech2k8.net:13391 from the SharePoint server

Please can anyone help?

Cheers

Jon

• Edited by jonjames Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:01 PM added extra details
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:48 AM

Answers

• Got this to work finally:

restart the FSA services:

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl stop samadmin

Connecting to Node Controller at localhost:13260..

Attempting to stop the following processes: samadmin

Successfully stopped in 3 seconds

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl stop samworker

Attempting to stop the following processes: samworker

Successfully stopped in 2 seconds

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl start samworker

Attempting to start the following processes: samworker

Started samworker

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl start samadmin

Attempting to start the following processes: samadmin

Started samadmin

Viola – Search is now returning results!!!

Monday, May 17, 2010 2:16 PM

All replies

• I am getting the same Contentdistributor issue, which I did with the FAST Beta but never was able to resolve it.  I have done the check as per Microsoft's documtn http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff381272(office.14).asp and have verified the FAST portion is working. 

From SharePoint I get in the Event Viewer:

Failed to connect to localsp06.company.com:13391 Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor

Trying to verify the ports, I run this PowerShell script in the SharePoint PowerShell as Admin:

$a= Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication -identity 'FAST Search Content SSA'
    $a.extendedConnectorProperties["ContentDistributor"]
    Which returns > localsp06.company.com:13391

Looking in the D:\FASTSearch\etc\contentdistributor.cfg I find:

localsp06.company.com:13390

I'm not sure what configuration is incorrect, I followed the set up instructions from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee781286(office.14).aspx

• Edited by Michael__F Friday, May 7, 2010 2:40 PM Typo
    Friday, May 7, 2010 2:38 PM
  • same problem! cert issue perhaps?
    Friday, May 7, 2010 7:40 PM
  • any solution to this?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

I am also facing the same issue while crawling the data.

Failed to connect to xyz.abc.com:13391 Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor

Cheers,

Abhijeet

Monday, May 10, 2010 2:38 PM
  • When I check the ULS log I see this entry as well:

Failed to connect to localsp06.ihi.com:13391 sp. Error=Failed to initialize session with document engine: Unable to resolve Contentdistributor [documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp:132] d:\office\source\search\native\gather\plugins\contentpi\documentsubmitterworkerthread.cpp

Does this mean I need to have Office (or some subset of it) installed on D (which I don't) to get this to work or is this just a standard error being output for this failure?

Monday, May 10, 2010 3:16 PM
  • The directions you're using are likely for the Beta. With RTM the install changed quite a bit, there's a new step where you need to import a cert to allow access to the content collection.

Here's a blurp from a newer version of the install doc:
    1. Copy the script securefastsearchconnector.ps1 from the FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint server to the SharePoint 2010 Server. The securefastsearchconnector.ps1 script is in the installation folder, under installer\scripts\.

2. Copy the certificate file FASTSearchCert.pfx from the FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint admin server to the SharePoint 2010 Server. The certificate file is in the installation folder, under data\data_security\cert\.

3. Open a Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Administration Shell with the Run as administrator option on the SharePoint 2010 Server. Navigate to the directory where you copied the securefastsearchconnector.ps1 script and run it, replacing the necessary parameters with the values for your environment. The domain and username should reflect the details of the user running the SharePoint Server Search 14 (OSearch14) service. .\SecureFASTSearchConnector.ps1 -certPath "path of the certificate\certificatename.pfx" -ssaName "name of your content SSA" -username "domain\username" When prompted to enter the certificate password, enter the certificate password that you supplied when you ran the post-setup configuration of FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint.

As far as the TaxonomyPicker error there is an error in a configure file. If you google TaxonomyPicker.ascx Failed you should find how to fix it.

I'll see if I can find a link to a more up to date guide.

Monday, May 10, 2010 9:16 PM
  • "The directions you're using are likely for the Beta."

Nope, I've done the Beta, I am using the RTM and have done the certificate as well.  If you notice the links in my earlier post I am using the RTM instructions.

As far as TaxonomyPicker.ascx  the old fix was to hit the Farm Search Admin Page and one of the other Search Admin pages, its a harmless error though.

• Edited by Michael__F Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:45 PM Edit
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:11 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Nice post, is this section just for https?  We are having a slightly different issue and we did not follow these steps.  Everything seems to be working on our install for regular web site indexing but if we use a sharepoint site in our content source it says it can't connect.  I'll create a new "question/post" with more detail...

Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Scott the latest guide for FAST install can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff381267(office.14).aspx

Friday, May 14, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Got this to work finally:

restart the FSA services:

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl stop samadmin

Attempting to stop the following processes: samadmin

Successfully stopped in 3 seconds

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl stop samworker

Attempting to stop the following processes: samworker

Successfully stopped in 2 seconds

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl start samworker

Attempting to start the following processes: samworker

Started samworker

PS C:\FASTSearch\installer\scripts> nctrl start samadmin

Attempting to start the following processes: samadmin

Started samadmin

Viola – Search is now returning results!!!

Monday, May 17, 2010 2:16 PM
  • if you apply any patch or update, you may get this error if you dont run the ps config.

you should run the psconfig. that will resolve the error.

.\psconfig.ps1 –action p

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh285624.aspx

Sutha Thavaratnarajah

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:58 PM