Content database size for a single site collection RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MOSS 2007 farm with one web application, and one site collection (not counting MySite & SSP site collections).  The web application has one content database, and MySites aren't used much so most of the content is in the root (portal) site collection.  The content database is 120GB and is growing 5-10GB per month.

I know I can only have 1 content database per site collection, and creating a new site collection isn't an option at this point.  I want to keep the database from getting much bigger.  Is this thee only option I have: delete old items from SharePoint, and then run SQL scripts to shrink the content database?

Thanks,
    Tim

Friday, January 28, 2011 5:31 PM

Answers

• Since a site collection can only have one content database, you need to think of restructuring your site using multiple site collection with multiple content databases.

Until then, you can use the following guidelines to keep the size of the database to as small as possible.

• Reduce the size of your recycle bin - Recycle bin by default contains 30 days of database. You can reduce the number of days. Also the second stage recycle bin occupies up to a 50% of the site collection size by default. Check for the size of the recycle bin and take action as appropriate.
    • Minimize Audit Logging - Try to have minimum audit logging as possible so that the size of the AuditTable in the database does not grow much. You can delete old audit logs using stsadm -trimauditlog command.
    • Reduce the number of versions to be maintained in the document libraries - Versions occupy a lot of space. Number of versions to be maintained can be changed and old major/minor versions can be deleted.

If you are able to remove any of these data, you can shrink the content database to release the occupied space.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Dip

Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    • Marked as answer by Tim Mayo Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:56 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:13 AM

All replies

• Third option is switch Database recovery model to Simple. If this will not help you have just one option: create new database.
    Oleg
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Oleg.  I'm talking about the database - not the transaction log, so switching the recovery model doesn't apply.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Unfortunately you have no options in this case. You have to reorganize your sites.
    Oleg
    Friday, January 28, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Since a site collection can only have one content database, you need to think of restructuring your site using multiple site collection with multiple content databases.

Until then, you can use the following guidelines to keep the size of the database to as small as possible.

• Reduce the size of your recycle bin - Recycle bin by default contains 30 days of database. You can reduce the number of days. Also the second stage recycle bin occupies up to a 50% of the site collection size by default. Check for the size of the recycle bin and take action as appropriate.
    • Minimize Audit Logging - Try to have minimum audit logging as possible so that the size of the AuditTable in the database does not grow much. You can delete old audit logs using stsadm -trimauditlog command.
    • Reduce the number of versions to be maintained in the document libraries - Versions occupy a lot of space. Number of versions to be maintained can be changed and old major/minor versions can be deleted.

If you are able to remove any of these data, you can shrink the content database to release the occupied space.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Dip

Dip
    http://dzeee.net/sharepoint
    • Marked as answer by Tim Mayo Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:56 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions Dip.
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:56 PM