Original version of SHOGUN warlord edition RRS feed

• Question

• I am 60 yrs of age so have limited understanding of tech. so mplease keep any guidance or response simple.

I used to play this game on wind. 95 , when we updated my computer some years ago to Wind vista (home premium) this game no longer played, it apparently loaded but did not play.

On buying a new computer in the past few days, with windows 10 I hoped for the new system to allow for playing this game again, to no avail. It has loaded onto my computer, I can read some info and the manual for the game but it does not launch. A youthfull friend has tried various different ways in an effort to get the game launching but without success, as example 'running as administrator, and using older windows formats (if that is in fact the correct description ?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Your friend has covered the options, run as administrator or run in compatibility mode. So nothing else I can think to suggest for Windows 10.

The only other thing to try is drastic, takes a lot of setting up and the results (how the games runs) might not be perfect. Basically you can run a Virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro (or Home with 3rd party software). So a try would be to build a Windows 95 machine on \ inside Windows 10. You would need access to Windows 95 media and it would take a lot of settings up and some tech knowledge to achieve. Almost did not mention that but mention it to your friend maybe to see what they say :)

Or perhaps time to find a new game to play. Did notice a slightly newer \ updated version was released, Shogun: Total War Gold Edition (PC DVD), in 2003 saying Windows XP. So might be more chance that works on the more recent Windows versions. Would a risk and chance it would not work so just wasted money.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:26 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Your friend has covered the options, run as administrator or run in compatibility mode. So nothing else I can think to suggest for Windows 10.

The only other thing to try is drastic, takes a lot of setting up and the results (how the games runs) might not be perfect. Basically you can run a Virtual Machine on Windows 10 Pro (or Home with 3rd party software). So a try would be to build a Windows 95 machine on \ inside Windows 10. You would need access to Windows 95 media and it would take a lot of settings up and some tech knowledge to achieve. Almost did not mention that but mention it to your friend maybe to see what they say :)

Or perhaps time to find a new game to play. Did notice a slightly newer \ updated version was released, Shogun: Total War Gold Edition (PC DVD), in 2003 saying Windows XP. So might be more chance that works on the more recent Windows versions. Would a risk and chance it would not work so just wasted money.

Sorry I cannot be more help.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Tuesday, December 29, 2015 6:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:26 AM
    Monday, December 28, 2015 12:57 PM
  • Hi bjorsviki8,

Here I would agree with Mr. Happy.

SHOGUN  warlord seems to be too old to work properly on Windows 10.

If the compatibility mode won't work, then another way to have it running should be to run it under Virtual Machine.

For home editions, we need to run it with 3rd-party Virtual Machine software.

Some reference:

http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/Windows_10.html

Please note: Since this website is not hosted by Microsoft, the information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Hi there, actually there is a way to launch Shogun even on windows 10. Just found it 5 minutes ago. Use a Wxnd program. Basically as i understand it, it emulates old directx and d3d environments. It may scare you off with a heck of options but actually most of them are not necessary. The only throwback with this may be some resolution issues. But hey...always something for something else. Rarely a win-win situation with old games. Good luck :)

Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:37 PM
  • Hi

metalowa_glowa could You please claryfy if You have checked Wxnd on STW?

Maybe You have some referntion link for it?

Saturday, April 8, 2017 8:24 AM