none
Intermittent Connectivity Issues with SharePoint Online

Question

• Hi All,

Hoping someone here can help me with this one. We recently took over IT Support for a client and they have Office 365 / Sharepoint Online. This is a branch office by the way. Users in this office are running into the following problem:

PROBLEM:

Periodically sharepoint will just not work, in internet explorer they get an error saying the page cannot be displayed. Once this occurs you cant get to sharepoint online with any browser (IE/Edge/Chrome/Firefox) with all stating the page cannot be displayed / accessed etc. If we reboot the machine then most of the time sharepoint will work ok for a while then the same issue pops up. As far as I can tell this is not happening externally as when I test from our offices I can login just fine.

STEPS TAKEN:

I have done the following on all machines to attempt to fix / resolve the issue for them but once it gets to the stage where it says page cannot be displayed none of the below fixes the issue. Only fix found so far is to reboot their pc's:

1. Made sure url is in tusted sites for IE
    2. Cleared out all temp internet files for all browsers
    3. Cleared credentials stored in credential manager
    4. set static dns for LAN to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4
    5. Reset winsock and networking
    6. Flushed DNS
    7. Switched user accounts and tried different credentials on same pc
    8. Uninstalled AV
    9. Reboot cisco router

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this loss of connectivity? We can still get to OWA and the Office 365 login page with no issues, the only thing that stops working is sharepoint online. Very confusing and I am stumped as to why this would be happening.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:13 AM

All replies

• Does it happen with all the site collections in SharePoint? try different site collections. Launch Fiddler tool on the client machine and capture the traffic and analyze where its failing.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:34 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

They only have one site collection. Can you detail what we will need to do in fiddler as I have not used this tool before. I have done some performance monitoring steps from the following link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Performance-troubleshooting-plan-for-Office-365-e241e5d9-b1d8-4f1d-a5c8-4106b7325f8c

I have a zip file with some of the tests recorded if you want to have a look at them. So far the only way to get sharepoint to work again is to reboot the machine.

We can ping their site using ping and psping and get responses to them. Not sure what to try at this point.

Any and all help would be greatly appeciated.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Hi,

did you tried just to remove the NIC cable or to disable and enable the NIC in Windows. I've seen a customer with the same problem and currently we have seen that removing the cable and plugging in it again has temporarily resolved the problem.

We are currently investigating the customers network infrastructure for SYN and routing problems.

best regards

Phillipp

best regards

Phillipp Clausing
    PEOPLE 4 NETWORKS

Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Hi all,

I have a similar situation at one of my customer sites. They use sharepoint online quite heavily. We are yet to isolate a cause but maybe we all have something in common? Did you end up resolving your issue?

Tim.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:13 AM