60gb ssd on windwos 7 ultimate 64bit is slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have newly installed a corsair ssd (60gb) with windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I have the ssd, and 2 x 500gd hd’s. The operating system is installed on the ssd, with office and a few apps. My files and documents are located on the 500gb hd’s.

Ive noticed that windows it self loads in half the speed, but once running its sluggish. E.g. when i open an ie8 window it delays a few secs. Opening a folder delays a few secs, even opening outlook delays 2-3 secs. Shutting down is also slow.

Is there anything i need to tweak or adjust to enable the ssd to run at full compatibility?

Ive ran scans with hd tune and it shows mixed results. Its fast, but also very slow. see screenshot below.

Ive checked for TRIM, and it on.

Thanks

Devin

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi, i'd suggest checking that you have the latest version of the firmware for your drive. My crucial m4 shipped with almost the original firmware and there had been 7 new versions since. Chances are this will fix some issues and generally give you a speed boost.

Edit: There are plenty of topics for optimizing ssds, but to be honest the increases are not huge and unless your a very technical user i'd suggest you leave it as standard. Each optimization has positive and negative effects something to keep in mind.

• Edited by Ethan Cartlidge Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, September 30, 2011 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• Does hd tune work better on a D: partition?  Just curious.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:34 PM
  • It runs at a steady slow rate. See pic below.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

Please logon with Clean Boot to check the result.

If the issue persists, temporally remove HD and left SSD along for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Hi, i'd suggest checking that you have the latest version of the firmware for your drive. My crucial m4 shipped with almost the original firmware and there had been 7 new versions since. Chances are this will fix some issues and generally give you a speed boost.

Edit: There are plenty of topics for optimizing ssds, but to be honest the increases are not huge and unless your a very technical user i'd suggest you leave it as standard. Each optimization has positive and negative effects something to keep in mind.

• Edited by Ethan Cartlidge Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, September 30, 2011 8:37 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:33 PM