none
Cannot update to version 1903 due to System Reserve Partition RRS feed

• Question

•  Two years ago this forum helped me to update to 1703 with the same problem I'm now having.  The representative was so patient and guided me thru every step of the process.  It was finally installed.  Beginning in Nov 2018 the same issue developed with version 1803.  I have ignored the issue but now I want to try again to resolve it and bring my computer up to date.  I keep my virus protection updated; I do backup for all my data on a regular basis.  My system was originally Win 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 ...  now shows Build 1709 16299.1087.   If I can get this computer upgraded to latest Windows configuration I will donate it.  Hopefully, there is someone who can guide me thru this process.  
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi trixie'

How are you?

If you are planning to donate the computer you can clean install Windows 1909.

If you want to upgrade and not have to reinstall drivers and applications the partitions and other problems can be evaluated /troubleshooted.

To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is one file for you to find manually: dxdiag:  

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

On the bottom of each post there is: Propose as answer = answered the question

On the left side of each post:  Vote = a helpful post

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:12 PM
  •  I'm doing well and thank you.  I'm two years older ... so I'll try to take your instructions and accomplish this.  If I can't ... I'll do the clean install.   I think I would need to update the drivers prior to giving it away.  I would want it to be functional.   There have been a few trouble reports that I attempted to solve ... so you will probably see evidence of those if I'm able to follow your instructions and post to DropBox.

I'm surprised you answered my post ... you devoted a lot of your time to me two years ago ... I was so grateful ... I had a smooth running computer for a while.

Trixie

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:46 PM
  • Hi trixie,

Could you provide more error details?

>> Cannot update to version 1903 due to System Reserve Partition.

Based on my research, the cause of this problem may be that the System Reserved Partition (SRP) is full and you need to free up the space. I found a Microsoft article could be helpful and more details you can refer to the following link:

“We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10

Besides, if the issue is not resolved, kindly suggest that refer to the following methods:

1. FIX Windows corruption errors with DISM & SFC tools;
    2. Install Windows 10 v1903 Update with an IN-Place Upgrade;
    3. Manually Upgrade Windows 10 to version 1903;
    4. Force Windows to Download again the Windows 10 Update v1903.

More specific steps please refer to the following link:

FIX: Windows 10 Update 1903 failed to install (Solved)

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Kiki

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Thanks to both of you for offering help.   I'll be starting on this tomorrow.  I know from past experience this process takes many hours.   I'll post back with what I've tried and if it was successful.   Several years ago when attempting to get the original upgrade to Windows 10 ... I downloaded a partition program and now have an extra partition ... not in use.

Thanks again ... Trixie

Thursday, December 5, 2019 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

You are welcome. We are looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:19 AM
  • Kiki ... I'm exploring your suggestions ...  The first was a link which suggests deleting FONT files.  As I look over my notes from two years ago that approach was accomplished then.  Also, removed languages other than English.  Afterward, the update was completed successfully.

"questionsformicrosoftproducts" guided me thru that entire process.   I'm sure I don't remember how to run the tests (as suggested in post above)  and upload the results to DropBox ... so I'll need to do this carefully (and probably SLOWLY).   Due to space restrictions on DropBox I'll remove any files still there.

I'll mark your message as HELPFUL and I continue to need help.  "Manually upgrade to version 1903" not sure I understand how that is accomplished ... is it also called a "clean install"?   

Trixie 

15 hours 41 minutes ago
  • Broadly there are four options to upgrade to 1909.

1) reset save files or reset save files equivalent (reinstall drivers and applications)

2) clean install (backup files, install 1909, reinstall drivers and applications)

3) determine the partition deficiency followed by the removal of fonts and selected languages

4) modify partition sizes

The method that we had performed for the prior failure to upgrade was #3.

Upgrades can be skipped.  For example Windows 1607 > 1909.

The computer environment will be assessed followed by fixing any significant underlying problems before modifying the fonts and languages.

15 hours 20 minutes ago
  • If I'm remembering the past correctly ... it was a lot of analysis by you (questionsformicrosoftproducts) and step by step instructions to me.  Ultimately, all the languages were pared down ... not sure I recall about how much of the FONTS were deleted.  

Reference #4 above:  I know the partitions are not correct because when I did that I had no idea what I was doing.  It is unchanged since that time ... still don't know what I'm doing.

If adjusting the partitions might work (#4)  ... would that be the easiest approach FOR ME?

Trixie

14 hours 49 minutes ago
  •  This is what it is now:

14 hours 12 minutes ago
  • results of dxdiag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa3zb1wfb90ylvp/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

13 hours 37 minutes ago
  • to: questionsformicrosoftproducts

I've tried to paste the lengthy command (in your above post) to the elevated Command Prompt ... comes back with a lot of red.  Do you need to see them ... obviously ... didn't work.

Not sure I'm up for this again.  

Trixie

13 hours 31 minutes ago
  • For the administrative command prompt start with the letter c or copy and end with " or "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release_svc.180808-1748)

Please post the serial number for Satellite S50-B  to view drivers and BIOS

https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=PSKK6U-09S06G&osId=3333785

Open disk management > by default some columns are compressed > widen each Status and Volume > make sure the contents within the parenthesis are in full view and that none of the characters are cutoff > view disk 0 > widen this row as needed so that all of the characters are in full view > post an image into the thread
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2503-disk-management-how-post-screenshot.html

12 hours 5 minutes ago
  •  OK ,,,  will do ...  ser nr  1F151957C    PART NR:  PSPQ2U-03R00Q

I will start the other instructions now and post back when finished.

Trixie

11 hours 48 minutes ago
  • disk management capture

11 hours 40 minutes ago
  • Showing the result when I copied your example:

"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is no Txt file posted on the desktop 

11 hours 32 minutes ago
  • Run each of these in administrative command prompt:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

md "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles"&wmic /output:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\hotfix.txt" qfe list full /format:table&copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp"&findstr /v "Owner." "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp" > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.txt"&del "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\drivers.txt"&msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Collected

11 hours 21 minutes ago
  • It's obvious I am not doing this correctly.  I've copied and pasted the individual commands above ... if it was to produce a text document as in the case of the dxdiag file.  Not successful.

I copied all of the above starting with  "  and  ending with   "    ...  total of 27 commands

If they were supposed to generate a report I didn't see it on my desktop.  If the procedures for completing these commands were in my instructions from 2017 I'll need to go back to my notes.  Direct me there if necessary.

If a clean install is the answer ...  I'm willing to try it.

Trixie

10 hours 42 minutes ago
  • There were two commands.

They were separated by

Copy everything without cutting off any characters before "

Start highlighting with copy and paste with: 

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t

10 hours 34 minutes ago
  • I did that for the first time .... that's when it answered with RED 
    10 hours 31 minutes ago
  • The second one didn't generate the red response ... reverted back to >>
    10 hours 29 minutes ago
  • Please see the command and result in this link:

Friday, November 10, 2017 4:41 PM

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bc5df125-147e-41a9-8ede-9b18c58b12cf/cannot-update-to-version-1703-due-to-system-reserved-partition?forum=win10itprosetup

md "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles"&wmic /output:"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\hotfix.txt" qfe list full /format:table&copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles"&dxdiag /t %temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\dxdiag.txt"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp"&findstr /v "Owner." "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp" > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.txt"&del "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\systeminfo.tmp"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\drivers.txt"&msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CollectedFiles\installed.txt" 

The other options are to use the log collectors on other websites and post share links into this thread:

https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/2198-bsod-posting-instructions.html

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.68/

If the 4 different log collectors do not work then perform a clean install.

8 hours 15 minutes ago
  •  So I need to go back to Nov 2017 and use those instructions and repeat them.   I'll start that tonight.  You must have the patience of Job and this old lady appreciates it.

Trixie

7 hours 58 minutes ago
  • Hi trixie',

Nope, these two are not the same thing.

"Manually upgrade to version 1903" means you need to download stand-alone update package from Microsoft update catalog.

“Clean install” is an operating system (OS) installation that overwrites all other content on the hard disk.

Unlike a typical OS upgrade, a clean install removes the current operating system and user files during the installation process. More details you could refer to the following link:

https://pc.net/glossary/definition/clean_install

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day~

Best Regards

Kiki

6 hours 1 minutes ago