none
Migrating local custom fields to enterprise custom fields in Project Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having around 20 offline MPP Plans which consists of five common local custom fields of type text. I need to upload the plans to Project Online site and all the custom fields have to be available at the enterprise level.

As of now, I created all these custom fields at the enterprise level using the same name as used for local custom fields. Then I opened these offile project plans through Project Pro connected to server. Saved and published the project plans. But the local custom fields are not mapping to the enterprise custom fields. Instead on reopening the project plan through server, it is asking to rename the local custom fields and the enterprise fields are empty only.

Please can someone suggest some way to get the local custom fields migrated as enterprise custom fields.

Thanks in advance,

Komal Agarwal

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 3:19 PM

Answers

• Komal --

Since you have created an enterprise custom field for each local custom field, you will now need to use the Import Wizard to transfer the data from each local custom field to its corresponding enterprise custom field for each of your 20 or so MPP files.  Open one of the local MPP projects, click File > Save As, select the Use Import Wizard checkbox, and then click the Save button.  In the Import Wizard sidepane, perform your resource matching in step 1 and then click the Continue to Step 2 link.  On the step 2 page, do not import any resources and then click the Continue to Step 3 link.  On the step 3 page, click the Map Fields link.  In the Map Custom Fields dialog, map each local field with its corresponding enterprise fields.  Using this process, Microsoft Project will copy the data from the local field to is corresponding enterprise field.  When you finish the mapping, click the OK button.  Continue through the remainder of the steps in the Import Wizard and then save the MPP file as an enterprise project.

Based on my previous experiences with importing local MPP files into Project Server, you will also need to insert each of your local custom fields temporarily in any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view, and then DELETE the data in each of these local custom fields.  I would also recommend that you use the Custom Fields dialog to DELETE each of these local custom fields from each project as well.  Do not delete the fields or the data until you have confirmed the data was transferred correctly to the enterprise fields using the Import Wizard.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:32 PM

All replies

• Komal --

Since you have created an enterprise custom field for each local custom field, you will now need to use the Import Wizard to transfer the data from each local custom field to its corresponding enterprise custom field for each of your 20 or so MPP files.  Open one of the local MPP projects, click File > Save As, select the Use Import Wizard checkbox, and then click the Save button.  In the Import Wizard sidepane, perform your resource matching in step 1 and then click the Continue to Step 2 link.  On the step 2 page, do not import any resources and then click the Continue to Step 3 link.  On the step 3 page, click the Map Fields link.  In the Map Custom Fields dialog, map each local field with its corresponding enterprise fields.  Using this process, Microsoft Project will copy the data from the local field to is corresponding enterprise field.  When you finish the mapping, click the OK button.  Continue through the remainder of the steps in the Import Wizard and then save the MPP file as an enterprise project.

Based on my previous experiences with importing local MPP files into Project Server, you will also need to insert each of your local custom fields temporarily in any task view, such as the Gantt Chart view, and then DELETE the data in each of these local custom fields.  I would also recommend that you use the Custom Fields dialog to DELETE each of these local custom fields from each project as well.  Do not delete the fields or the data until you have confirmed the data was transferred correctly to the enterprise fields using the Import Wizard.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 5:32 PM
  • Thanks a lot Dale!! It worked.

But I am unable to map the custom fields which are calculated using formulas. Any suggestion on how I can do it?

Thanks,

Komal Agarwal

Thursday, June 4, 2015 10:14 AM
  • Komal --

You cannot migrate the data in custom fields that use formulas.  You will simply need to recreate those fields as enterprise custom fields using the correct formulas.  Once you have imported each project, press the F9 function key to recalculate your project, which should calculate the information in each field containing a formula.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:17 PM
  • Thanks a lot Dale for the help.

Regards,

Komal Agarwal

Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:55 AM
  • I came across the same issue, got resolved..

Thanks Dale and Komal.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:06 PM