Can SharePoint server be duplicated with VM snapshot? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am setting up a new environment for our SharePoint Disaster / Recover strategy.

I have a SharePoint production farm with:  3 WFEs and 3 Application servers, a SQL database server 

I want to but a new SharePoint farm for D/R with the same number of SharePoint servers (3 WFE and 3 Apps servers) and database server.

My plan is to build those servers from scratch and configure them the same as servers in production farm. 

My question is:

instead of building each of the SharePoint server from scratch,  can I take a WM snapshot of WFE1 server in production farm and make the new WFE1 server in D/R farm with this VM snapshot.

then take WM snapshot of WFE2 server in production farm and make the new WFE2 server in D/R farm with this snapshot.

continue with the remain servers (WF3, APP1, APP2, APP3) in production farm and make new server in D/R for WFE2, APP1, 2, and 3.

One that done,  I can build SQL server and then I can run Configuration wizard on those new servers in D/R farm to create new configuration database and new D/R farm

is that sound possible?  or SharePoint have internal SID that prevent doing such duplication of server that way.

Thanks for all advices or comments to this question.

Swanl

Swanl

Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:21 PM

Answers

• SharePoint does not support VM snapshots, online backups, or VM replication. You will cause all sorts of issues if you snapshot a VM and bring it online while on the same logical network. You'd have two servers with the same name and identity connecting back to the same production SQL Server.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Edited by Trevor SewardMVP Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by swanl98 Friday, February 15, 2019 1:36 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:24 PM

All replies

• SharePoint does not support VM snapshots, online backups, or VM replication. You will cause all sorts of issues if you snapshot a VM and bring it online while on the same logical network. You'd have two servers with the same name and identity connecting back to the same production SQL Server.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Edited by Trevor SewardMVP Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by swanl98 Friday, February 15, 2019 1:36 AM
    Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:24 PM
  • Hi Trevor

Thanks you for your advices.  That explains it.  I will build the new D/R farm with new servers.

Xuan

Swanl

Friday, February 15, 2019 1:36 AM