Disable network discovery on domain clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I'd like to disable network discovery on Vista and 7 clients in my domain (Windows 2003) so that they are unable to "browse the network" (I don't want them to see other computers on the network), but I do want these clients to connect to servers by UNC.

From a member server 2008 R2, using Group Policy Management I tried setting "Turn on Mapper I/O (LLTDIO) Driver" with different options but I can't find to disable the functionality for the windows firewall in a domain profile.

I thought disabling the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper service could possibly do the trick but I saw that this service is in manual startup mode and not started, anyway I tried disabling it and restarting a Windows 7 and Vista machine but after restarting them "network discovery" is still turned on in network and sharing center and working.

Is there a way to achieve this by group policy (a setting, a logon script, etc) ? I don't want local administrators to manually enable Network Discovery on those clients. 

If you need additional information please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hernán.

Monday, April 5, 2010 1:28 AM

Answers

All replies