none
DPM2012 - Error 0x80990AA5 while running an integrity check RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to perform a Integrity Check on a protected server that is across a WAN and I get the following Error:

DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\Volume{e0f28da5-8c48-11e2-941c-806e6f6e6963}\sharedfolder\Admin\Marketing\Battery display pack\Thumbs.db on dpmservername.SEC.local (ID 2033 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990AA5)

Sometimes if fails on a pdf file, sometimes a jpg, it's just random.

I was finally able to perform a Consistency check after three tries, however, I want to do an integrity check as that allows me to see if indeed there was anything inconsistent, whereas a consistency check doesn't report thing being wrong, it just corrects them if they are.

Details:

DPM2012 SP1 Server on 2008R2 SP1

10MBps link between sites

1.7TB of Data on the protected server

Server2003 OS on the protected server.  

Integrity Check Error Picture:

Consistency Check Error Picture:

• Edited by Caleb44 Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:49 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I recommend that you open the failedfileslog.txt and see what the error code is for the failure. However, I would start with a chkdsk /f on both the protected servers volume and also the replica just to be sure the NTFS file systems are both clean. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Caleb44 Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:09 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend that you open the failedfileslog.txt and see what the error code is for the failure. However, I would start with a chkdsk /f on both the protected servers volume and also the replica just to be sure the NTFS file systems are both clean. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Caleb44 Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:09 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Mike, thanks for the reply.  where is the failedfileslog.txt located?
    Friday, April 12, 2013 9:01 PM
  • Given this alert or failed job details:

<snip>

Description: The replica of Volume D:\ on <servername> is inconsistent with the protected data source. Number of files skipped for synchronization due to errors has exceeded the maximum allowed limit of 100 files on this data source (ID 32538 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FE)

Recommended action: Review the failure errors for individual files from the log file \\?\Volume{8492c150-f195-11de-a186-001cc4ef89a0}\B1E9D373-2C03-464E-A472-99BC93DB1E2A\FailedFilesLog.txt and take appropriate action. If some files fail consistently, you can exclude the folders containing these files by modifying the protection group or moving the files to another location.
    >snip<

1. Open an Administrator Command Prompt

2. Type mountvol <AnyAvailableDriveLetter>: \\?\Volume{VolumeGUID}

Example:  mountvol M: \\?\Volume{8492c150-f195-11de-a186-001cc4ef89a0}  

Note: We're only using the first part of the path to the FailedFilesLog.txt file given in the DPM alert, starting from \\? and ending after the } character.

4. CD to M: drive

5. Then type cd B1E9D373-2C03-464E-A472-99BC93DB1E2A   This is actually a folder name so we're just going into this folder.

6. Finally type dir and you should see the FailedFilesLog.txt file. This file can be copied to another location where it's easier to use (i.e. in Windows Explorer).

7. Be sure to unmount this volume when you're done by typing mountvol m: /d in the command prompt.
        (Mountvol reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772586(WS.10).aspx.)

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:13 PM
  • The volume already has a mount point (i obtained this from the replica path details in the protection view) and when I browse to the file and try to open it or copy it it tells me "Access is Denied".

I did try to manually mount it to a drive letter as well, but it wouldn't mount.

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:54 PM
  • Hi,

Are you doing it from administrative command prompt, or from windows explorer ?    CMD Prompt should work.  If not, do this.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4) Now CD to the where the FailedFilesLog.txt is and copy it out.

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:17 PM
  • I got it.  I realized this is the same file that this log file is the same that is brought up in the following warning message which I just got today.  I've been getting similar warning messages, once a day for the past 4 days.  They all look like the second one pictured   I should note, even when I get this message, the protection group remains green.  

0x80990aa5 \\?\Volume{e0f28da5-8c48-11e2-941c-806e6f6e6963}\folder\file.msg

• Edited by Caleb44 Friday, April 12, 2013 11:16 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

OK ErrorCode: 0x80990AA5 =  DSMMTF_E_CORRUPT_DATA - so basically you have to run chkdsk /f /r on the protected volume and let it fix the file system.  Once that is done, future synchronizations should not be seeing this problem.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:49 AM
  • Ran a chkdsk /f on the protected server.  No issues.  I still can't mount the replica volume on the DPM server so I can't run a chkdsk there.
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:56 PM
  • Hi,

You should be able to run chkdsk on the DPM server using the volume guid reported in the error.

chkdsk /f  \\?\Volume{e0f28da5-8c48-11e2-941c-806e6f6e6963}\

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:23 AM
  • When I attempt to do this it says, "cannot open volume for direct access".  I've tried running the chkdsk under the psexec -s cmd.exe as well.  Same error.  
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Any other ideas?
    Monday, April 22, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hi

Getting "cannot open volume for direct access" while running chkdsk on a DPM replica volume is not normal - do you get the same error for all replica volumes ?  You may want to boot into safe mode and see if you can run chkdsk from there.  FYI proper syntax is below without the trailing backslash (\).

chkdsk /f  \\?\Volume{e0f28da5-8c48-11e2-941c-806e6f6e6963}

Monday, April 22, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Mike, I think I have the wrong volume GUID.  I'm getting the GUID by clicking the link that says "Click to view details".  Is this correct?  I notice that if I go into disk management the volume name is different (but it's not complete).

• Edited by Caleb44 Monday, April 22, 2013 5:02 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 5:01 PM
  • Indeed, that is not the volume guid that is reported in the error. You need to run chkdsk against the volume guid reported in the error as seen below.

<ERROR>
    DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for \\?\Volume{e0f28da5-8c48-11e2-941c-806e6f6e6963}\sharedfolder\Admin\Marketing\Battery display pack\Thumbs.db on dpmservername.SEC.local (ID 2033 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990AA5)
    >snip<

You can also run mountvol and look at the output and see what the volume guid is associated with the replica path you have underlined in the screenshot.

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:08 PM
  • Got it!  \\?\Volume{e0f28da5-8c48-11e2-941c-806e6f6e6963} this volume was the volume on the protected server.

I ran mountvol and matched it with the replica path, like you said, and got the proper GUID.

I'm running the chkdsk now and we'll see shortly what the results are.

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:17 PM
  • ok, results below.  Does that look like it would have caused the errors that were encountered?  I'll start a integrity check and we'll see what happens.  

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:22 PM
  • I was able to run an integrity check successfully!  It appears that you were correct, and there was a problem with the file system on the replica volume on the DPM server, however I don't know what caused the problem.  Do you have any ideas on what caused this?  I pre-seeded the data on this volume.  Could that have caused this?

Thanks so much for all your help, Mike!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Also, I pointed out earlier, that the status on the protection group was green this whole time, even after errors had occurred.  Any idea why?
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

Data source status is always  "alert" driven, so if you inactive an alert before fixing the problem the data source will be green until another alert is raised.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:04 PM
  • In this case, I didn't inactivate the alert.  I'll just monitor in the future.  Thanks for the help!
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:09 PM