Some Outlook emails not sending, require Forward'ing RRS feed

• Question

• I find that some emails (~20%) have started to fail on sending. They show up in outbox as Date:None. Re-opening them and sending again, you can see them show up in that folder correctly as Date:Today (=pending, queued) and then instantly changed to Date:None (=stuck).

The only way to actually send them is to select the item, choose forward, and when the item opens choose Send. Then one sees a copy go out immediately, but the old "stuck" version sits there, and needs to be deleted.

Interestingly, the Forwarded version, does not actually appear as Forwarded - i.e. the subject line does not get the "FW:" tag added.

This is a recent phenomena (~1 week); no changes to my Outlook configuration or additions to it. I did delete my .ost file, and let it rebuild - no effect.

Guthrie

Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:43 PM

Answers

• No, send-all does not work, nor re-sending any message. I resume you understood the "Date: None" comment?

Ones in Today will go out, those in None are stuck - note the draft icon. (aTest2 will go out, aTest will not).

From another suggestion, it seems that some add-ins can open emails and then close them in the Outbox, and then they are (mistakenly) converted to draft. iCloud is one troublesome add-in like this. I found that the McAfee filtering add-in was also active, and disabling it, stopped the problem.

Guthrie

• Marked as answer by Guthrie Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Guthrie,

What do you mean by “show up in outbox as Date:None”?

>> Interestingly, the Forwarded version, does not actually appear as Forwarded - i.e. the subject line does not get the "FW:" tag added.

I can reproduce this situation here. If I forward a message in Outbox, there will be no FW tag added. Same if I click Reply. According to my test, this could be by design as it can be reproduced on Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013.

If we manually update folder, will message send out successfully? To do this, click Send/Receive button. We can also check if there are any errors recorded there.

Besides, please try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, September 21, 2018 2:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:16 AM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Hi Guthrie,
    Have you tried the steps? Does it work for you?

Just check if the information above was helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:17 AM
  • No, send-all does not work, nor re-sending any message. I resume you understood the "Date: None" comment?

Ones in Today will go out, those in None are stuck - note the draft icon. (aTest2 will go out, aTest will not).

From another suggestion, it seems that some add-ins can open emails and then close them in the Outbox, and then they are (mistakenly) converted to draft. iCloud is one troublesome add-in like this. I found that the McAfee filtering add-in was also active, and disabling it, stopped the problem.

Guthrie

• Marked as answer by Guthrie Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:59 AM