none
Task Duration - elapse time and resource conflict RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to create a task that has a 10 day span and uses the same resources as the previous task.

I may have asked this already but I don't remember.  My question is about setting a task that will take about 10 days to do (due to coordination) but

it will actually take about 1 hour to complete -- once all the people agree.  The first question is, where do I put the actual 1 hour that it takes to complete this task and the second question is: how do I make this task not conflict the previous task that has the same people responsible? Thanks

pm

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Pm,

You can assign 1hrs in Work Field, if you are sure it has to be a Fixed Work type only, then you can also set its Task Type. Then you can add 10d to its Duration. Now when you assign same resource to this task and other task going on in parallel, tool will show overallocation. Open Resource Usage view, there in you can manually reduce/increase duration for 2 tasks for common resource so that it removes overallocation. This is called as manual contouring of the tasks/allocations.

Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by jp-pm Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Pm,

You can assign 1hrs in Work Field, if you are sure it has to be a Fixed Work type only, then you can also set its Task Type. Then you can add 10d to its Duration. Now when you assign same resource to this task and other task going on in parallel, tool will show overallocation. Open Resource Usage view, there in you can manually reduce/increase duration for 2 tasks for common resource so that it removes overallocation. This is called as manual contouring of the tasks/allocations.

Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by jp-pm Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Thank you so much Sapna.

;-)

pm

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:55 PM
  • You are most Welcome :)
    Sapna S
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:58 PM