none
Event 2937, Default Global Address List pointing to the Deleted Objects container

Question

• Hello

I got a strange problem, hopefully someone of you may be able to help me.

We got a new customer who has a Domain where earlier an Exchange Server Organization was installed. The Exchange Server itself was then "uninstalled" by their admin. This admin is no longer working there, so I got no idea how he really uninstalled it.

However, there was still an Exchange Organization in Active Directory and I was able to remove this organization using an Exchange 2003 CD and using the /removeorg switch.

Later on I installed a new Exchange 2010 Server with SP1. Some minutes after installing it, I start receiving the following error message in Event viewer:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange ADAccess
    Date:          20.09.2010 09:48:57
    Event ID:      2937
    Task Category: Validation
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SRCHZGEX001.domain.local
    Description:
    Process edgetransport.exe () (PID=8052). Object [CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local]. Property [GlobalAddressList] is set to value [domain.local/Configuration/Deleted Objects/Default Global Address List
    DEL:a44b4cb9-2e24-41ff-9f3e-9c978d6d0077], it is pointing to the Deleted Objects container in Active Directory. This property should be fixed as soon as possible.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="MSExchange ADAccess" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">2937</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>6</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-20T07:48:57.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4229</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SRCHZGEX001.domain.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>edgetransport.exe ()</Data>
        <Data>8052</Data>
        <Data>CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=local</Data>
        <Data>GlobalAddressList</Data>
        <Data>domain.local/Configuration/Deleted Objects/Default Global Address List
    DEL:a44b4cb9-2e24-41ff-9f3e-9c978d6d0077</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The problem is, I cannot find an object with the ID a44b4cb9-2e24-41ff-9f3e-9c978d6d0077 in the deleted objects container in Active Directory.

Any idea on how to fix that problem? Is there a way to completely delete the Default Global Address List and let Exchange recreate it?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

René

Monday, September 20, 2010 8:32 AM

Answers

• It seems that I've just figured out what the problem was...

There was a second (old) entry in the attribute "globalAddressList" under CN=Microsoft Exchange in the configuration part of ADSIEDIT.

I had to simply delete the second entry which was pointing to a deleted object. This object was still existing due to improper remove of the old Exchange server by the previous administrator...

Thanks anyway for your help.

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have seen some similar problems and wrote a blog how to solve it: http://blog.ronnypot.nl/?p=212

Hope it will help you!

Regards
    Ronny

• Proposed as answer by Russian Wings Friday, March 30, 2012 4:30 AM
    Monday, September 20, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately this did not help. The Offline Address Book is correctly pointing to the new server.

My problem ist that the "Default Global Address List" seems to be in "Deleted Objects" container, according to the event log entry, but I cannot find it there and cannot restore it.

Regards,
    René

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

sorry didn't read it well, maybe you can find your answer here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd535387(EXCHG.80).aspx

Regards
    Ronny

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:39 AM
  • Hi

Sorry for the late answer. I just checked your second link. Everything is correct according to the Technet article.
    However, the application log in Event Viewer is still showing up the error in my first post.

Do you probably have any other ideas?

Regards,
    René

Friday, September 24, 2010 5:51 AM
  • It seems that I've just figured out what the problem was...

There was a second (old) entry in the attribute "globalAddressList" under CN=Microsoft Exchange in the configuration part of ADSIEDIT.

I had to simply delete the second entry which was pointing to a deleted object. This object was still existing due to improper remove of the old Exchange server by the previous administrator...

Thanks anyway for your help.

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:46 AM
  • René,

Same here. Thanks for sharing!

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:52 AM
  • Hi!

I have the same problem.

In that registery I have one called globalAddressList with a long value of CN= etc etc. And I also have a entry called globalAdressList2 which has value <not set>.

Which one of these should I remove?

Findwise AB
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:47 AM
  • This solution appears to have solved my problem as well. I ended up having two values set, one for the current GAL, the other for the deleted GAL. For the post above wanting a little more clarification:

Open ADSIEDIT and connect to your domain using the configuration naming context. 

Expand the following containers:

ADSIEDIT

-Configuration [%Domain Controller%]

--CN=Configuration,DC=%domain name%,DC=%domain name%,DC=%com%

---CN=Services

You should see

CN=Microsoft Exchange

Right Click on the "CN=Microsoft Excahnge" container and chose properties

Scroll down until you see "globalAddressList"

Highlight and click "Edit" on "globalAddressList"

Highlight and click "Remove" on the value that matches the one showing up in your error messages. 

Then click "OK", then "Apply", and finally "OK" again. 

To verify this works, you can just restart the MS Exchange Active Directory Topology Service on your Exchange Server. 

• Edited by SP Jon M3 Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:29 AM More clarification
    • Proposed as answer by Thomas Bood Monday, May 30, 2011 2:17 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Did you end up deleting the one that the value had <not set>?  It's interesting because we too have two entries, one for globalAddressList with the correct value and then the second one call globalAddressList2 that has no value.  I'm curious to know why I'm even seeing this error message if the original globalAddressList is correct and the second one being null. 

Thanks in advance!

Karl
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Hi Karl

Is the second entry called "globalAddressList2" really giving you errors in Eventlog? If not, just let it there. My problem was that there were to values in entry "globalAddressList" and not a second entry.

However, I have some other customers with the the same entry "globalAddressList2" with value <not set> and I'm not seeing any errors due to it.

René

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Ive had a nightmare with this problem this week and in the end it was a simple fix

Event ID 2937

Pete

PeteNetLive

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Hi Rene,

I am facing same issue in my exchange2010 and its not going to be solved. can you please help me.

Regards,

Shakeel Shahid.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Thanks Jon M3 for showing the exact location. It fixed my problem.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 5:05 PM