Microsoft Access Databases Get Corrupted on NAS Share - NEED SOLUTION PLEASE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi community,

I work for a large organization and my team currently supports approximately 100 Access databases on NAS file shares. Due to the complexity of the databases and number of users who frequently access them, the databases frequently "break."

When a database breaks, our team (an area of technology services) receives a notification. Then, we ask all users to exit. Then, we run a compact/repair. Then, we remove corrupt records and restore any primary keys that might have disappeared. We then tell users they can go back in. An automated script automatically compacts/repairs the databases every night and we have timers to get users out of the databases when they are inactive for too long. 

We are unable to migrate these to a SQL server, but we are hoping to come up with a better way of managing the databases so they "break" less frequently. We considered getting a SAN share, but we were told users would have to log in (with a limit of 3 users) and we would also need to get an existing server which we cannot find yet.

We were told Microsoft should be contacted for a recommendation. If anyone here has any practical and effective recommendations for reducing the amount of times the Access databases get corrupted on NAS shares,  then please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joseph P.

Friday, June 29, 2018 6:17 PM