Can not delete 'Declined' updates to clear up disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seriously running low on disk space on the WSUS Server and contentiously adding virtual disk space is not an ideal solution. I've Declined a whole bunch of updates like for IE 6, Languages other than English and Itanium-Based system.

I've ran the Server Cleanup Wizard and ran my PowerShell script for clean up. Sure, it freed up about 500MB to 1.5GB. But, it still takes alot of space and the declined updates are still there. I've searched the forums and found suggestions and downloaded a script 'Automated WSUS Maintenance Utility v1.7' and ran fine. At the end, they're still there. Is it possible to get rid of out-dated patches to free up disk space?

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I said before, WSUS works by downloading updates to your server after you have performed the approval. So, I think if your purpose is to increase disk space, please consider checking the current size of the WSUSContent folder. If this folder is too large, you can consider resetting the WSUS server and re-downloading all approved updates. The specific steps can be Refer to this article: "What to do when your WSUSContent folder grows too large".

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I recommend cleaning it out by following these steps:

1. Cancel products/classifications that you no longer need in WSUS.
      As WSUS working principle, only if you approve the update, it will download the updated package, so if you have a non-applicable automatic approval rule, you can also consider modifying or deactivating.

2. Decline those that are outdated. You can refer to the methods mentioned in the following article: "How to identify and decline superseded updates in WSUS".

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

3. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard regularly.
      If you want to use a script, consider using the following script: "The Scripting Guys WSUS Cleanup Script".

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Thanks, Yic. I've found the same articles 'How to identify and decline superseded updates in WSUS'. But, I've only removed the 'Blue square in the right below corner' (in the past) and ran the server clean up. My script is basically the same as 'WSUS Cleanup' except with added 'WsusDBMaintenance.sql'. It cleared up some space. But, removing the 'Blue square in the middle' cleared up a whole lot of space.

Though, the updates that I'm trying to remove (windows server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems as an example) are still there. I'm guess they can't be removed?

• Edited by kody_reef Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:46 PM
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

As I said before, WSUS works by downloading updates to your server after you have performed the approval. So, I think if your purpose is to increase disk space, please consider checking the current size of the WSUSContent folder. If this folder is too large, you can consider resetting the WSUS server and re-downloading all approved updates. The specific steps can be Refer to this article: "What to do when your WSUSContent folder grows too large".

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, July 12, 2019 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, July 19, 2019 7:29 AM
  • I'll leave you with my guide on what to do if you run out of space on the WSUS Server:

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/what-do-i-do-when-i-run-out-of-space-on-a-wsus-server/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Official guidance here as well:
    https://aka.ms/wsusmaintenance

Have fun,
    Andrei

We could change the world, if God would give us the source code.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:37 PM
  • Yep. That's linked to in part 8 of my 8 part blog series for How to Setup, Manage, and Maintain WSUS

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-8-wsus-server-maintenance/

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:25 PM
  • It is best to follow the official guide by Microsoft linked above.

Adam Marshall is primarily trying to advertise the script he sells.

Friday, February 21, 2020 5:56 PM
  • That Microsoft guide is horrible, it's very long and convoluted. It is based around SCCM, so it implies you are using that. For me, I run WSUS with out SCCM and find that Adams script is well worth the few bucks. Just my 2 cents.
    Friday, February 21, 2020 6:09 PM
  • Thanks, Yic. That's what I needed and sorry for the late response. Life of an IT - you get pulled all over.

Monday, March 2, 2020 8:46 PM