Activation Code issue after OS corruption RRS feed

• Question

• I used the Action Pack CD to rebuild my system after SP1 installation caused system file corruption.

Now my activation code will not work because I forgot to use the original Vista Home restore CD that came with my 13 month old Gateway system.  Is there anyway to get this activated without re-installing the Vist Home OS and then use the upgrade DVD with SP1?

Note: I have been working with Vista Support-Escalation Team for the past three days trying to identify and recover the OS without doing a new installation. They have been great. 

But after performing InPlace upgrade last night I received the following error:  Win Boot Manager,

1)  insert Windows Disk - Restart computer,     2) Choose Language -next     3)Click Repair

File: Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys    Status: 0x0000221 Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt.

So I got frustrated and Formated Drive C and used the wrong CD to reinstall the OS. Now my activation code will not work.

All help/suggestion will be appreciated.   Thanks, Rita

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:39 PM

Answers

• HI All - I got with Microsoft Support Activation folks and they fixit for me   Appreciate your help.  Support is great - have to love those folks. 

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    What is Microsoft Support saying about this issue? Maybe they can put you in contact with the guys that handle activations and they can give you a new serial nomber.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:39 PM
  •  

Hi Rita,

Please understand that your product key is an OEM one and can only be used to activate Windows Vista provided by Gateway. To activate your current system, you need to contact Microsoft to buy a key for the Action Pack CD.

For more information, I suggest contacting Microsoft Activation Center 888-571-2048.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:15 AM
  • HI All - I got with Microsoft Support Activation folks and they fixit for me   Appreciate your help.  Support is great - have to love those folks. 

Friday, August 15, 2008 12:38 PM