Can a PST lose all content RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that was putting PST files on a network drive. (I know not to do this)

Over the weekend, he got the message that the file was corrupt. He ran SCANPST on it. Once it was done, it had no content and was at 265kb. User is convinced that it was near 16GB is size. I tried running the SCANPST on that file, but it was still 265kb like I thought.

Is it possible for PST files to lose all content when storing these on network drives?

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 4:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>> Is it possible for PST files to lose all content when storing these on network drives?

Yes. It is not recommended to store your PST on a network share, because accessing PST files from a network or external drive can result in corruption. You may lose your data in PST files.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 3:08 AM

All replies

• No It would not loose data when saved in network drive but if its corrupted and SCANPST or other third party applications did not work then yes the data is lost. But just by saving the pst data on a network drive (which is safe)would not create any issue.

But if the drive is not secure enough then its not at all recommended to save on the same.

Kindly mark it as answer if that helped

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered"Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.]

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

>> Is it possible for PST files to lose all content when storing these on network drives?

Yes. It is not recommended to store your PST on a network share, because accessing PST files from a network or external drive can result in corruption. You may lose your data in PST files.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Is it possible for PST files to lose all content when storing these on network drives?

Solution Summary:

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:17 AM