Cannot create Data Source to Analysis Services 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am having problems creating a Data Source to an Analysis Services 2000 cube in the PerformancePoint dashboard designer. The steps I have followed are:

- Create a new Data Source

- Select the Analysis Services template

- Give it a name and finish

- Input a connection string rather than using the Standard Connection, as described in the PPS blog entry: http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/07/20/how-do-i-connect-to-an-analysis-services-2000-cube-with-m-a.aspx

- The connection string used is:  provider=MSOLAP.2;data source=V-MA-CPM-SQL2K;initial catalog=Foodmart 2000;ConnectTo=8.0

- When I try to drop down the list of Cubes, I get the error message:

The PerformancePoint Server count not connect to the specified data source. Verify that either the current user or application pool user has Read permissions to the data source, depending on your security configuration. Also verify that all required connection information is provided and correct.

The following is a list of configurations and things I have tried to get this to work:

- I can create a connection to an AS2005 cube successfully in Dashboard Designer

- There are three computers involved here: my local PC which is where I am running the Dashboard Designer from, the PPS server (imgserver14a) and the AS 2000 server (V-MA-CPM-SQL2K). The AS 2000 server is a virtual server

- The PPS services in IIS are all running under the domain account  domain\ppsadmin

- I have successfully connected to the AS2000 cube via Excel, both with from a PivotTable (using a similar connection string) and from an ADO connection using the exact connection string as above from within VBA. This has been done while running as my username and while running as the domain\ppsadmin account

- I have installed PivotTable Services 8.0 both on the local PC and on the PPS server

- I have tried running the Dashboard Designer while on the PPS server, both as my username and while running as the domain\ppsadmin account without any luck

- I have added the domain\ppsadmin account as a local admin and an OLAP admin on the AS 2000 virtual server

- The virtual server has been added to the company domain

- Maybe it is related to the AS 2000 server being a virtual server, although I cannot think why

Any ideas appreciated

Cheers,

Matt

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:10 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The key is to use a connection string as mta37 says in his post.  Are you using a connection string in your data source?

provider=MSOLAP.2;data source=servername;initial catalog=cubename;ConnectTo=8.0

IF you are using a connection string I would suggest you contact support and we can assist you with this. 

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Monday, February 16, 2009 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you have already done this based on everything you have listed, just wanted to verify that you installed SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services server Service Pack 4 - Build 2174 for Client Systems on the server and your workstation.  Is the server that you are connecting to utilizing SP4?

Is PPS updated with SP2 or what build number are you currently running?
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Hi Dan, thanks for the response and sorry I did not get back to you - we gave up on the SQL 2000 cube and have instead been migrating data into AS 2005.

In response to the questions, yes Build 2174 for Client Systems has been installed on both the server and the workstation. The server is running SQL 2000 SP4. PPS SP2 has also been installed.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:26 PM
  • We've got the same problem to connect from DD to SSAS 2000.
    I've already checked the steps mta37 described. The SP4 for Analysos Services is installed and also SP2 for PPS.
    I can't convert to SSAS 2005!

Any further ideas?
    Thanx
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hello,

The key is to use a connection string as mta37 says in his post.  Are you using a connection string in your data source?

provider=MSOLAP.2;data source=servername;initial catalog=cubename;ConnectTo=8.0

IF you are using a connection string I would suggest you contact support and we can assist you with this. 

Aseem Nayar - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by AseemN Monday, February 16, 2009 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:30 PM
  • From the downloadable Book: PerformancePoint Server 2007 Planning & Architecture Guide (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=106544):

" A SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services data source is not supported with the 64-bit version of Monitoring Server."

Regards
    Just Blindbæk
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:48 AM