Desktop sharing Ent CAL - Std CAL meeting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

following scenarion:

A user is scheduling a SfB meeting. The scheduling user is able to share his desktop and can use enterprise voice features. He invites a user who is not able to share his desktop or use enterprise voice features. Following behaviour is observed:

1. standart user uses Skype for Business 2016 client to join the meeting

he is able to dial out via the CAL of the inviting user but is not able to share his desktop or programs.

2. standart users uses Skype for Business Web App to join the meeting

he is able to dial out via the CAL of the inviting user and can also share his desktop or programs

Both scenarions were tested from inside the companys network and no involved user were external.

Why cant the user share his screen via the desktop app but it works fine over web app? 

Greetings

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What conferencing policy is assigned to the user that cannot share their desktop?

Please confirm if it is the same as the user who can share his desktop.

Also is the user a presenter in the meeting or an attendee? 

Can the user with the desktop sharing issue share their desktop in a peer to peer scenario, e.g. between 2 users, and not via a scheduled online meeting?

My best guess would be that it's either the conferencing policy assigned to the user or the configuration of meeting? 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" or "Propose As Answer".

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:24 AM
  • No the users have different meeting policys. One that allows desktop sharing and one that dont allows it. 

But according to the SfB licensing model, the user without an enterprise CAL should be able to use enterprise features like, dial out and desktop sharing in an meeting which was initiated by an user who posesses an enterprise cal.

Via the desktop client only dial out is possible for the other user but no desktop sharing. Thats only possible if the same user joins the same meeting with the web app.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:03 PM
  • Hi Frickeladmin,

Check your firewall settings, maybe some ports are blocked. See the reference below: 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594589.aspx

RDP/SRTP/TCP:49152-65535 from user client to front end server

and also check your conference policy:

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:43 PM
  • So there's your problem - the user who cannot share his desktop has a policy which denies desktop sharing - as per your comment above:

"No the users have different meeting policys. One that allows desktop sharing and one that dont allows it. "

If you change this user to have the same policy as the other user who can share his desktop, then it will work.  The licensing is on trust model, in other words, if you try and enable something that you don't have a user CAL for it will still work - Microsoft doesn't enforce - they just expect that you'd license each user with the feature that you require.  I believe that the reason it doesn't work on the desktop client is that the users who cannot share their desktop is getting the correct meeting policy applied via the in-band provisioning.  However, when using the web app, I don't believe that the user is have the in-bound policies applied - which is why they are allowed to share the desktop.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" or "Propose As Answer".

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Ok, would be nice to know why the user who is not Enterprise Voice enabled, is able to do outbount calls when he is assigned referee rights in the meeting that the user with Enterprise Voice features set up. And this works in both version of the client usage: web app and desktop.

According to your guys explanations, this should also not work because its not allowed in the meeting policy. So why is one Enterprise CAL dedicated feature working but the other ones not? 

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:56 AM
  • Hi Frickleadmin,

it totally depens how you did configure the whole voice policy's, meeting policy's. Maybe you have created it wrongly with the settings. An user that have only PC to PC can do calls to other skype users only, so no PSTN calls. You also dont see the dial pad in the sfb client. Enterprise voice user does see the dial pad like below:

The CAL license have no influence on the behavior of the Skype server. What Microsoft will do an audit that you pay for the license that are used. So if you have 100 Enterprise voice users and Conference policy that allows all, you need for that user Plus and Enterprise CAL License additionally on the normal CAL license.

I have added a script: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Create-CAL-Conferencing-9c527a34 to install the cal conference policy's

Greetings,

Erdem

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:25 AM
  • I know how to configure policys correctly. And i know that the users invited to a meeting will always use the options that the organizer of the meeting is offering. So a user who is not directly enabled for desktop or application sharing can, in the context of the meeting that is scheduled by a user who can use desktop and applicatipon sharing, use it too.

This is somehow proofen by the fact, that this is working fine in the web app. I presume that there is a bug somewhere, either in the web app or in the desktop client. 

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi ,

Agree with Er-D, it is relate to your user’s policy ,please check the voice and meeting policy settings.

You could change another users make a test.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

I think that is the way that the conference is setup. When someone creates a conference with all right everybody can use it regardless their policy. Did you also test it the other way around so someone create a conference without the desktop sharing permissions ?

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

I think that is the way that the conference is setup. When someone creates a conference with all right everybody can use it regardless their policy. Did you also test it the other way around so someone create a conference without the desktop sharing permissions ?

Greetings,

Erdem

Ive tested the other way. When someone without the explicit permission creates a meeting and someone with the feature enable joins, the one who can share his desktop is not able to use this feature in the context of this meeting. Neither over the web app nor the desktop client.

As this is the intended behaviour (always use the options that the invitee offers), i think that this must be a bug in the desktop version of SfB. I will open a ticket with the MS support tomorrow.

• Edited by Frickeladmin Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

Greetings,

Erdem

Ive tested the other way. When someone without the explicit permission creates a meeting and someone with the feature enable joins, the one who can share his desktop is not able to use this feature in the context of this meeting. Neither over the web app nor the desktop client.

As this is the intended behaviour (always use the options that the invitee offers), i think that this must be a bug in the desktop version of SfB. I will open a ticket with the MS support tomorrow.

Best way to clarify if it is by design or a bug with a MS ticket :)

Greetings,

Erdem

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:36 PM