Need help repairing broken connection between W10 workstation and 2012 WSUS server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a breakdown between a single node on my network and the WSUS server.    Since the problem could be on either end, this makes it hard to document the problem in words alone.  So I've prepared an image that spells out where things stand at the moment.  Basically, the server reports the node as needing a single update and that it's been out of communication for four months.  There is no way to get it to report its status as anything else.  While this message persists, the workstation cannot receive updates from the server -- only from the web. 

I've tried the fixit utility for repairing WSUS functionality in a workstation, and that didn't have any effect.  Can anyone suggest a fix for this?  Or at least the next step they'd take if they personally encountered it?  I've pretty much exhausted the self-help options for this problem.

Friday, October 14, 2016 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi ArtSnob,

1. What is the version of your WSUS server, if you haven't installed KB3095113 and KB3159706(with manual steps), you may install them to upgrade WSUS server;

2. Do other clients work well, can other WSUS client report to WSUS server correctly?

3. What is the build of the Win10, please run windows update troubleshooter to solve general issues;

4. Also restart Windows update services on the clients and check windows update log;

5. Clear SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, then check if you can download and install these updates from Internet;

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Friday, October 28, 2016 3:32 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi ArtSnob,

1. What is the version of your WSUS server, if you haven't installed KB3095113 and KB3159706(with manual steps), you may install them to upgrade WSUS server;

2. Do other clients work well, can other WSUS client report to WSUS server correctly?

3. What is the build of the Win10, please run windows update troubleshooter to solve general issues;

4. Also restart Windows update services on the clients and check windows update log;

5. Clear SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, then check if you can download and install these updates from Internet;

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ArtSnob Friday, October 28, 2016 3:32 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.  I think that I've traded one problem for another.

1. The version of WSUS server is 6.3.9600.16384.  Is this the latest?
    2. Yes, other clients -- even identical machines -- work perfectly with the server.
    3. The problem machine is Windows 10 version 1607
    4. I'd played around with restarting the update service previously.  It made no difference.  I have a zip file with the update logs if there's a place I can send it.
    5. I stopped the update service, renamed the software distribution directory, and restarted the service, which created a new directory.  It didn't find any updates to from the server, but did find an update on the web -- "Feature update to Windows 10 Version 1607."  It installed this update, but when I rebooted and went back to updates, it downloaded three additional updates and failed to install any of them -- the history screen showed the first update successful and the other three as failures.  When I rebooted yet again, and went back to this same screen, it reported that NO updates have been installed.

There is one positive development:  The WSUS server is back to normal and shows the machine as up-to-date (even though it's not).

So now I've got the server problem resolved, but the workstation is back to not installing updates.

Monday, October 17, 2016 11:35 PM
  • Hi ArtSnob,

> It installed this update, but when I rebooted and went back to updates, it downloaded three additional updates and failed to install any of them -- the history screen showed the first update successful and the other three as failures.  When I rebooted yet again, and went back to this same screen, it reported that NO updates have been installed.

Are the failed updates point to dedicated KBs? Please test if you can install these updates manually.

Besides, according to my pervious test, seems Win10 1607 clients have some issues downloading updates from WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:37 AM
  • There were three updates that didn't install: KB3194343, KB3194798 and KB3197356.  The first two I could install manually; the third one said that it was non-applicable (I made sure that it was the 32-bit version for this 32-bit machine).  The windows version is now 10.0.14393.  The update history now lists, but I won't know if the machine is working in conjunction with the WSUS server until additional updates become available.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 7:31 PM
  • Hi ArtSnob,

Please check the detailed version of the computer: Settings>System>About, if the version if not 10.0.14393.321, please install the latest CU KB3194798 for win10 1607:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3194798

Windows 10 update history

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Best Regards,

Anne

Friday, October 21, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Could the above replies be of help? If yes, you may mark it as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, October 24, 2016 3:07 AM
  • I finally confirmed today that the connection is working again.  The sequence of steps I took -- creating a new software distribution directory and installing those two updates -- seems to have gotten things straightened out.

Friday, October 28, 2016 3:37 PM