Moving from SCCM 07 SCUP 4.5 to SCCM 12 SCUP 2011 how to deal with certificates RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to find out the best way to move from SCUP 4.5 to SCUP 2011.  Currently we are running SCCM 07 SP2 R3 with SCUP 4.5 and are using VMWare SCUpdates for third party patching. 

We have our WSUS self signed certificate published and also are pushing out with SCCM 07 to clients the Certutil.exe to get the certificate on each client.

Questions:

Can we use this existing certificate on our clients when we move to SCCM 12 with SCUP 2011 or is a new certificate required? 

If we can use the existing published certificate how can we continue to push this out?  We are using software distribution with a comand line certutil.exe -addstore TrustedPublisher WSUS.cer.  Then Group policy to setup the certificate authorities to trust along with other SCCM settings such as the WSUS intranet update to detect updates.

Thanks,

Brit

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Nicolai,

I ended up creating the new WSUS self signed certificate and then used group policy to distribute the new certificate and configurations to clients.  With the group policy configuration I did not have to push out the command line certutil.exe -addstore like I did with the old version of SCUP.

Thanks,

Brit

• Marked as answer by Brit2008 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:55 PM

All replies

• Not sure if you made this or not as its an old post.

I would let the New WSUS create its own self signed certificate, and distribute that to the Clients.

You can also use AD PKI for Certificates.

Nicolai

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hi Nicolai,

I ended up creating the new WSUS self signed certificate and then used group policy to distribute the new certificate and configurations to clients.  With the group policy configuration I did not have to push out the command line certutil.exe -addstore like I did with the old version of SCUP.

Thanks,

Brit

• Marked as answer by Brit2008 Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:55 PM