Template for projects RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any template (can also be in Excel) where I can register my actual projects? Nowadays I have an Excel worksheet where I specify project name, resources assigned and estimated time.

Thanks in advance

Regards, Margarita.-

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:58 PM

Answers

• What do you mean by register? 

Excel is a flat file where you could create lists of projects, tasks resources and estimated time.  MS Project allows for creating a project based on a calendar, creating resources, creating tasks, assigning resources to tasks and having the resources scheduled to do the work.  With Excel when something changes, it is a manual process to update each row.  With MS Project you can indicate what was accomplished and re-schedule the uncompleted work based on a status date and new date assignments are created. 

There is no comparison between the capabilities of the 2 products.  If you manage projects using MS Project software correctly could become your new right arm and you will wonder how you ever tried to manage projects in Excel.  However, correctly is the keyword.  Look in to training on MS Project so you understand what the software is doing and you can work with it and not againist it.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hello Margarita,

I guess you want to maintain a list of Projects which contains fields like : Project Name, Resources assigned on it and estimated effort; that is specific to a user's need or Business processes. Since it is customized list which depends on how an Organization wish to maintain the information so it need to be built internally.

Sapna S
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 3:03 PM
  • What do you mean by register? 

Excel is a flat file where you could create lists of projects, tasks resources and estimated time.  MS Project allows for creating a project based on a calendar, creating resources, creating tasks, assigning resources to tasks and having the resources scheduled to do the work.  With Excel when something changes, it is a manual process to update each row.  With MS Project you can indicate what was accomplished and re-schedule the uncompleted work based on a status date and new date assignments are created. 

There is no comparison between the capabilities of the 2 products.  If you manage projects using MS Project software correctly could become your new right arm and you will wonder how you ever tried to manage projects in Excel.  However, correctly is the keyword.  Look in to training on MS Project so you understand what the software is doing and you can work with it and not againist it.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    • Marked as answer by Mike Glen Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 9:29 PM