PowerShell Color Definitions RRS feed

• Question

• I've been monkeying around with my PowerShell installation and I've managed to mangle my colors. I understand how to set all of the $host.PrivateData values. What I'm talking about is the values that are mapped to "Red", "Green", "Blue" etc.

What they should look like: How they actually look:

My question is how did I manage to screw these up? and how do I reset these to their default values? Thanks!

Friday, December 27, 2019 3:01 PM

All replies

• The colors will reset when you close PowerShell.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, December 27, 2019 3:07 PM
  • I wish that were true. I've closed and re-opened PowerShell to no avail. Any other suggestions?
    Friday, December 27, 2019 4:17 PM
  • Then you must have changed these in the registry. How did you do that?

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, December 27, 2019 4:18 PM
  •      I figured out what I did. 2-3 weeks ago I was messing around with a utility I found on GitHub to import and export Windows console settings (like fonts and colors) called concfg. I found instructions on how to reset the system colors in the readme.md. Thanks for your replies!
    Friday, December 27, 2019 6:04 PM
  • So basically your issue has nothing to do with PowerShell.

The system colors can be set in the registry.  If you know which colors you can just delete the keys and the colors will return to default.  If you alter themes then just reset the theme in the GUI and it will return all colors to a standar4d theme.

PowerShell is a tool but it can alter the system.  Be sure you understand what you are doing before running any script or you may end up having to reinstall Windows.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, December 27, 2019 6:08 PM