need help "enabling" printing RRS feed

• Question

• I am a student a Drexel University and take several classes online.  Typically .pdf files .doc files .ppt and excel spreadsheets made available via Blackboard should be available to edit or print although their is nearly always a button that must be selected to "enable edit" or "enable print" since the material is made available from "an online source" in protected view... last quarter I did this successfully but this quarter I get a "cannot open ...." window and then after I close that it says in a seperate window that "file error" has occurred.  I have contacted Blackboard and they insist this is a Microsoft problem.  I have tried to print ffrom the blackboard source on several different computers to no evail ... it should be mentioned though that because we work at the same school (a small elementary school outside my college career) and had licensed the Office 2010 software for 40 downloads we all used the same software download CD for laptops we typically use at the elementary school ... but that I additionally use for my work at Drexel once I get home.   How can I fix this quickly or contact someone that could help me???  It seems like the only way for me to print is to save and then print from the saved article but I must be able to edit some of them before I print, hence my greater dilemma.

Thank you ... this service has always been extremely helpful.  Oh, if its important ... I am using Explorer 7.

John

Pennsylvania 

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:36 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

Are there some details about that file error? Sounds like the file you download includes another one that you don't have access to.

Kind regards

Hans

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:22 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Yes, I've seen similar behavior in Blackboard. And no, I'm pretty sure it is not Office related. I've seen Blackboard eating up, modifying and even deleting links I publish in it. And oh yes, I verified at several occasions, with the Balckboard responsibles of our school sitting near to me, and astonished over and over again. They would investigate this - still waiting after more than four months.

If saving the document prior to printing helps, instruct your users to do so. If it doesn't, you could consider publishing the documents in a Skydrive shared folder.

Kind regards

Hans

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hans,

Thanks for your prompt reply but I need to clarify ... I am the student on Blackboard and not the instructor.  I am attempting to print and edit files (whether they are .pdf, .doc., .ppt., or excel files that need to be editted before printing.  A yellow bar appears above the documents stating that they are "protected" because they are from an "online" source and there is a tab that allows me to "enable editting" if that's what I want to do or a tab that "enables printing" if I attempt to print.  But as soon as I attempt to enable either of these things a window pops up "cannot open http...." and then a second stating "file error."  Is this really a Blackboard problem or Office problem ... no one else I have spoken to in my class seems to be having this problem.

Thanks

John

John T. Evers, Jr.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Hi John,

Are there some details about that file error? Sounds like the file you download includes another one that you don't have access to.

Kind regards

Hans

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:22 AM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 1:58 PM