Windows always boots to black screen, even on dvd boot. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sony vaio vgn-fz140e i recently took my computer to have the dc jack replaced the guy at the store showed me the bootup but i accidentally selected windows recovery utility. the battery was low so when he unplugged it it powered down. Now i get home a couple hours later and windows boots to a black screen with only the cursor showing(the screen appears to be 800x600 by looking at how far the mouse can move). So from that point i tried booting all different types of safe modes these all hung up at AVGIDSvx.sys, then i tried selecting last known good configuration this also gave me the aformentioned black screen. Then i tried the recovery tool, this also gives me the same black screen. at this point i figured the only thing to do would be to repair from disk or reinstall windows. so i got my dvd and popped it in, restarted the computer and hit enter when it prompted me to hit any key. To my surprise this also led to the same black screen. i have tried all of these methods probably about 20 times each hoping i might get lucky but no dice. Sometimes the computer will restart on its own but this is usually during safe mode boots, all other times it will just sit with black screen indefinitely.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• Almost forgot to mention that the first time i booted from dvd it did work, i was able to run a memory diagnostic however when i returned to the computer to check up on it it had died at some point and was powered down. from that point on i am unable to boot from dvd.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I can boot to Ubuntu which is on a partition of the same drive so i know the machine is in working order. Unless there is some type of hardware problem that is only affecting windows OS although i don't see how that is possible.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:03 PM