http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839357 - whassup? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know if the author of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839357 was under the influence when it was written?  The section for IIS 6 on W2K3 refers to the creation of an 'custom error.' This cannot be done -- the web site's 'custom errors' tab simply has no such button.  Then, we're told to create an application called 'custom errors' on the site's 'home directory.'  Or are we?  It's all mixed up.

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi

Would you tell us more details about your issue? If you want to redirect an HTTP connection to HTTPS for Outlook Web Access clients, you can also refer to this link:

http://blog.pennic.com/?p=9

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

If you have any feedback for KB article, you can provide your feedback on "Give Feedback" section in the KB article. Thank you for your understanding.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Kent-Huang Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:28 AM 12345
    • Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Zi Feng Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:27 AM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Yes, ISTR it's a bit different in IIS6, but it's still there. I think you have to find the list of response codes, and look at the properties. Most errors point to the built-in pages somewhere in the inetsrv folder, but for a custom error, you point it at your own page.

blog.leederbyshire.com

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:49 PM

All replies

• Despite your rude introduction, I will try to help you.

What version, service pack and rollup hotfix level are you running, and what version of IIS?  What is it you're trying to do?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Hi

Would you tell us more details about your issue? If you want to redirect an HTTP connection to HTTPS for Outlook Web Access clients, you can also refer to this link:

http://blog.pennic.com/?p=9

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

If you have any feedback for KB article, you can provide your feedback on "Give Feedback" section in the KB article. Thank you for your understanding.

Kent Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Kent-Huang Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:28 AM 12345
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Yes, ISTR it's a bit different in IIS6, but it's still there. I think you have to find the list of response codes, and look at the properties. Most errors point to the built-in pages somewhere in the inetsrv folder, but for a custom error, you point it at your own page.

blog.leederbyshire.com

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Well, the point I'm getting at is that in the cited KB article, the transition from Step 4 to Step 5 is rather rocky.  "Application Settings," is just not found anywhere near "Custom Errors."  I mean it has been a week since I've looked at the problem, but having this opportunity to respond, I thought I might cite that chief deficiency of this article.  It's not okay to spend an hour or two becuase of a typo in a KB.  And, I should take this space, as well, to complain about the descent in KB article quality.  It is not OK for them to be authored by non-English speakers.  SimilQuestionarly, it is not OK to locate Microsoft tech support at WiPro in India.  One can often not make head or tail of what they're trying to say.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Good points. In the case of this article, I assume someone has merged information from older and newer articles, and not noticed the difference at that point. Or was even trying to do it from memory. There is a space at the bottom of the article where you can type comments and suggestions. It might be worth 'venting your spleen' there. There may be a slightly greater chance of someone taking notice, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you want to really experience deficiency in documentation, try looking for coding examples in something other than C#.

blog.leederbyshire.com

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Amen Brother! We pay a lot of money to have to suffer through non native English speaker's attempts to communicate. It's deplorable. Wake up Microsoft! Bring it home.

• Edited by mjstone Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:50 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:49 AM