none
Where is hotfix for Win 10 like KB2917033 (Fix to use local ADMX files)

Question

• I have a Server 2008 r2 environment and am still testing Windows 10 client upgrades.  I want to create new GPOs for my Win 10 test clients but I am still hesitant to overwrite my central store with the new Windows 10 ADMX files as I will much more often have the need to edit Windows 7 settings in my GPO's.

I found hotfix KB2917033 located here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2917033

Which allows for the use of local ADMX files, overriding the Central Store, when editing GPOs. This applies only to Windows 8 or Windows 7/2008r2.  I downloaded the Windows 8 version thinking it may work, but it knows I am on Windows 10 and will not let me install.

Question: Is there/Will there be a hotfix for Windows 10 clients to allow the use of their local ADMX files to edit GPOs in Group Policy Management?

Wednesday, January 06, 2016 10:13 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful.

I would agree with <Aravindhan> that you should be safe to update your Central Store with the latest .ADMX file, all of your existing policy setting will not getlost.

The worst case, you find some settings are missing from the latest .ADMX files, you still can download or copy the old .ADMX files back to replace the newer ones.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:19 AM
  • it's possible that no hotfix is necessary for Win10 (possibly, the functionality may have been included in Win10 by default).
    To test my crazy theory, why not try a Win10 machine by creating the regkeys mentioned in the KB article and see what happens?

If that doesn't work, or doesn't suit;

- backup your CS, then update your CS, if things go wrong, restore the CS content from the backup.
    be aware that disparate files may include duplicated setting-names (this has been an issue lately due to MSFT releasing renamed files in updates), so, if you do need to "restore", you may need to delete the content of the CS entirely, so that the restore doesn't inadvertently "merge" old files with new.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:34 AM

All replies

• No such a hotfix for windows 10.

Personally, you should be safe to update your central store with the latest ADMX, it almost contail all the settings from previous version of Windows. We did the same thing on our side.

Friday, January 08, 2016 6:13 AM
  • Hi James,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful.

I would agree with <Aravindhan> that you should be safe to update your Central Store with the latest .ADMX file, all of your existing policy setting will not getlost.

The worst case, you find some settings are missing from the latest .ADMX files, you still can download or copy the old .ADMX files back to replace the newer ones.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:19 AM
  • it's possible that no hotfix is necessary for Win10 (possibly, the functionality may have been included in Win10 by default).
    To test my crazy theory, why not try a Win10 machine by creating the regkeys mentioned in the KB article and see what happens?

If that doesn't work, or doesn't suit;

- backup your CS, then update your CS, if things go wrong, restore the CS content from the backup.
    be aware that disparate files may include duplicated setting-names (this has been an issue lately due to MSFT releasing renamed files in updates), so, if you do need to "restore", you may need to delete the content of the CS entirely, so that the restore doesn't inadvertently "merge" old files with new.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Monday, January 18, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi. I can confirm that the reg key works as expected on Windows 10 1607. There's no need to apply any specific hotfix.
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:38 AM