How Do You Remove an Orphaned Icon in Windows 7's Control Panel Menu? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'd like to know how you can remove an orphaned icon in the Window's 7 Control Panel menu?

Below is a screen shot:

Note: The orphaned icon used to be the "Java (32-bit)" icon.

Thanks.

• Edited by Jenn C Monday, September 3, 2012 7:06 AM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Mohammed,

Thank you for your clear and detailed reply.

The steps you had suggested did not work for my situation. The reason is, I had uninstalled all versions of Java and that particular section of the registry did not show anything relating to Java.

However, I did manage to find a solution. I searched for every single instance or mention of "Java" in the registry and deleted it. This resulted in removing the orphaned icon and did not cause any problems on my system (since the correct registry entries were deleted).

Solution I Found:

If anyone else who is reading this is experiencing the same issue, I suggest you try Mohammed's suggestion above first. If that does not work, you can try what I did:

• Backup your entire registry by doing an export from   Run > "regedit" > File > Export > save this file in a location you can remember.

(This way you can have a backup in case you any wrong entries.)
      • Search for "java" (and NOT "javascript") and delete those "java" instances you find (while avoiding "javascript").

Delete ONLY the instances you find that show the location   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java7u7\*"   or   "C:\Program Files\Java7u7\*"   (or whichever directories or locations you had previously installed Java on).

This immediately removed the orphaned icon even without a restart. When I went to the Control Panel menu, it was gone.

WARNING: Do not delete "Java" registry entries that are settings of other programs (such as "Java" mentioned in a list of file extensions for another program, etc.) Remember, to be safe, look for that directory location as previously mentioned.

Remember:

• There are risks when editing the registry. If you make a mistake, this can cause SERIOUS problems with your system including the inability for your operating system to even start up at all!
    • DO NOT delete any instances of "JavaScript" ("Java" and "JavaScript" are NOT the same).
    • To be on the safer-side, delete only entries that contain the directory location of your previous Java installations. (These are created by Java and the doing of Java.)

Below is a screen-shot of the Control Panel Menu without the orphaned file:

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Jenn C Monday, September 3, 2012 5:38 PM
    • Edited by Jenn C Monday, September 3, 2012 5:41 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Jenn,

Sometimes after you uninstall a program its entry still remains in the Add or Remove Programs dialog box. This should not have happened in the first place, but if it does happen you'll be really pissed off because when you click on Change/Remove in the dialog box, you get an error, telling you that the program no longer exists.

To remove these orphan entries do the following:

Before change registry take the backup of registry

Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). 

• Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Make sure you backup the keys by exporting them to a .reg file.

1. Look for the name of the program with the orphaned entry.

2. Delete the entire listing for the software with the orphaned entry.

3. Close the registry editor.

4. Restart your computer.  

Hope this information help you.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali

Monday, September 3, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Hi Mohammed,

Thank you for your clear and detailed reply.

The steps you had suggested did not work for my situation. The reason is, I had uninstalled all versions of Java and that particular section of the registry did not show anything relating to Java.

However, I did manage to find a solution. I searched for every single instance or mention of "Java" in the registry and deleted it. This resulted in removing the orphaned icon and did not cause any problems on my system (since the correct registry entries were deleted).

Solution I Found:

If anyone else who is reading this is experiencing the same issue, I suggest you try Mohammed's suggestion above first. If that does not work, you can try what I did:

• Backup your entire registry by doing an export from   Run > "regedit" > File > Export > save this file in a location you can remember.

(This way you can have a backup in case you any wrong entries.)
      • Search for "java" (and NOT "javascript") and delete those "java" instances you find (while avoiding "javascript").

Delete ONLY the instances you find that show the location   "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java7u7\*"   or   "C:\Program Files\Java7u7\*"   (or whichever directories or locations you had previously installed Java on).

This immediately removed the orphaned icon even without a restart. When I went to the Control Panel menu, it was gone.

WARNING: Do not delete "Java" registry entries that are settings of other programs (such as "Java" mentioned in a list of file extensions for another program, etc.) Remember, to be safe, look for that directory location as previously mentioned.

Remember:

• There are risks when editing the registry. If you make a mistake, this can cause SERIOUS problems with your system including the inability for your operating system to even start up at all!
    • DO NOT delete any instances of "JavaScript" ("Java" and "JavaScript" are NOT the same).
    • To be on the safer-side, delete only entries that contain the directory location of your previous Java installations. (These are created by Java and the doing of Java.)

Below is a screen-shot of the Control Panel Menu without the orphaned file:

Good luck!

• Marked as answer by Jenn C Monday, September 3, 2012 5:38 PM
    • Edited by Jenn C Monday, September 3, 2012 5:41 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:01 AM