Sharepoint 2010 Search Error RRS feed

• Question

• After uploading a PDF document to a dropoff library, users cannot search on filename content. After reading posts for two days, what I can say is the the iFilter 9 is installed and installed correctly.  What I do know is the document library has a content type with managed metadata as a required field. In my troubleshooting, I found that the libraries (content management rules move documents) where content types do not have a default value for the metadata field are the ones where filenames cannot be found in a search using filename:????.  If I force the metadata to have a default value, the search results are correct.  Anybody got a clue as to what is going on?
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:15 PM

All replies

• If the metadata field is a "required value field" and if it is being left blank, the search is bound to be wrong. This scenario can occur if you are importing values from an external source. The bottom line is, the required fields have to be filled with some default value to have the search working.

Sharepoint Dummy

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

If I upload a single file, fill in the required fields, exit, the content management rules place the file where it is supposed to be, the file is checked in, and  incremental crawl is done, I still cannot search successfully on pdf (only) filename content.  

If I then edit the properties of that pdf, do nothing at all, check it back in, and then run a crawl, I get the search results I am looking for.

I know when multiple files are uploaded to the dropoff library, then fields with required content do not get set.  However, the content rules do not work, which forces each file to be edited, fields populated, and so on.  

Having a default value for the field seems to work, so I guess that is the answer.

Monday, August 20, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hey can you ensure that the pdf file type is included in the list of file types that are allowed to be crawled?

In your Search Service application -> file types

PDF is not a default file type in Sharepoint that gets crawled

Sharepoint Dummy

Monday, August 20, 2012 2:01 PM
  • Yes.  The crawler knows to index pdf.  As noted in my post, if I do nothing but edit properties, OK, then checkin the document, wait 5 minutes for the crawler, then everything is fine.
    Monday, August 20, 2012 7:36 PM