IAG Network Connector and UAG SSTP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client in the education sector that would like to use the VPN functionality within IAG/UAG. As the client is in the educational sector they are looking at students connecting in and students may have Apple or Libux based machines. I understand that NC will not work on these machines. So I'll get to my question...... Will SSTP work for Linux / Apple to give end user the full VPN style connectivity.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Raúl,

The end-users will not have to configure anything in order to launch SSTP, the user experience will be just as with Network Connector: click on the application link on the UAG portal home page, wait for the application to launch, observe the system tray icon with the yellow and blue arrows appear and then change into a different icon, get a balloon popup saying “Forefront UAG Remote Network Access  - Connection started”  when the connection is established, and voila ;-), you’re connected.

Regards,

-Ran

• Proposed as answer by RMoros Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Saturday, November 28, 2009 11:55 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

SSTP (Secure Sockets Tunneling Protocol) is a technology implemented in the Windows operating systems, starting with Vista and now also available on Windows 7. SSTP is not “made by UAG”, UAG just enables connectivity between the SSTP client and RRAS server.

Here is some more information about SSTP: http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Secure-Socket-Tunneling-Protocol.html

Regards,

-Ran [MSFT]

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi Ran. I do understand that the legacy networ connector is available as usual as an application in the UAG portal for older operating systems and that SSTP is enabled through the UAG admin console but the end-user will have to self configure the dial-up connection, is that? Will there be a way to publish the SSTP connection so that the user doesn't need to configure by himself? Maybe something like a CMAK isntallation?

Regards
    // Raúl - I love this game
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:55 AM
  • Hi Raúl,

The end-users will not have to configure anything in order to launch SSTP, the user experience will be just as with Network Connector: click on the application link on the UAG portal home page, wait for the application to launch, observe the system tray icon with the yellow and blue arrows appear and then change into a different icon, get a balloon popup saying “Forefront UAG Remote Network Access  - Connection started”  when the connection is established, and voila ;-), you’re connected.

Regards,

-Ran

• Proposed as answer by RMoros Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Saturday, November 28, 2009 11:55 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Hi Ran and thanks for your quick response. I have been playing with RC0 and I didn't find how to publish the SSTP connector. Surely I have missed something :(

Thanks again
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:47 PM
  • Rats! As I only saw the wizard for adding the "legacy" network connector I didn't even try to publish. I have just seen in http://blogs.technet.com/edgeaccessblog/archive/2009/07/05/adding-the-sstp-magic-to-the-uag-charm.aspx that the application is the same for old and new client operating systens and the opening of one or another kind of vpn relies on the intelligence of the client component. True magic !

Sorry for the inconvenience

I will write it down one hundred times ;P
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:57 PM
  • No incoveninece what-so-ever! :-)
    I'm glad you found the solution, and I'm sure you'll have it up and running soon.

Regards,
    -Ran
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Jajaja. In fact it is already running now !!

Thanks again
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Hi Ran,

Did you manage to get around the UAG 2010 SSTP RTM to do split tunnelling?
    We need this badly for windows 7.

I can see split tunnelling options for Network connector but not the SSTP section....
    Please advice...

regards
    fei yu
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:07 AM