How to disable Security Center alerting globally? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm implementing NAP (a new feature in WS2008) for a domain full of Vista workstations. By default, workstations in a domain have Security Center turned off, but it has to be turned on for the NAP client to work. I used group policy to enable SC; so far so good. BUT... a management decision was made to turn off UAC, so when SC is turned on, the RSoN (Red Shield of Nagging) starts popping up warnings that a security component needs attention.

It was easy to see how to turn off the alerting, so naturally I figured we could disable it with group policy. Couldn't find the setting anywhere in Vista/2008's GPME, not in Computer Settings or User Settings. Curious, I went thru the registry to find the setting. Found it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Svc\[your SID here]\EnableNotification. The SID-named key only gets created if and when the user changes the alert setting from default.

My first thought was, what the heck is a SID (user)-specific setting doing in HKLM? But more importantly, how do you control the setting across all your computers? It's kind of hard to make an ADMX file for a registry key that's unknown. Or is there a way?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:48 PM

Answers