Copying PDF image to Word RRS feed

• Question

• I have been successfully copying images from a pdf and pasting them into Word.  I was looking around at options to see if I could increase the size of the graphic.  I selected the zoom option and was able to zoom in on my image.  However, I was not able to zoom out.  Now, although I can see the whole image in the PDF, when I copy it, I only get either the portion that I had zoomed in on previously, or if I pick another image, it pastes into Word as a black box.

Ideas how to get back to just selecting an image, copy and paste?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:39 PM

Answers

• Increasing the PDF scale to more than the actual image dpi in the PDF won't enhance what you get in Word.

For example, using Adobe Reader's PDF image copy tools (click on the image, right-click and choose 'Copy Image' will give you an image that you can paste into Word with all the data there are in the image - regardless of the zoom. Even increasing the page zoom in Adobe Reader to 600% so to get a larger image that way is futile - it'll still be the same size in Word.

Screen capture tools are crude by comparison and are liable to result in a poorer output than Adobe Reader's PDF image copy tools unless you get the zoom to exactly match the actual pixel density in the PDF. Going above the scaling that the Adobe Reader's PDF image copy tools give may result in more pixels, increasing your document size, but not more information.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, May 14, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Saturday, May 14, 2016 10:32 AM
  • Increasing the PDF scale to more than the actual image dpi in the PDF won't enhance what you get in Word.

For example, using Adobe Reader's PDF image copy tools (click on the image, right-click and choose 'Copy Image' will give you an image that you can paste into Word with all the data there are in the image - regardless of the zoom. Even increasing the page zoom in Adobe Reader to 600% so to get a larger image that way is futile - it'll still be the same size in Word.

Screen capture tools are crude by comparison and are liable to result in a poorer output than Adobe Reader's PDF image copy tools unless you get the zoom to exactly match the actual pixel density in the PDF. Going above the scaling that the Adobe Reader's PDF image copy tools give may result in more pixels, increasing your document size, but not more information.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, May 14, 2016 11:42 AM