Viewing a Return Receipt freezes Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• One user is having an issue were some read receipts cause Outlook to freeze for about 2 minutes.  

She can send an email to a few people and request read receipt for it.  When she gets the receipts back from some people  viewing the receipt freezes outlook.  Other programs continue to work and Task Manager shows Outlook is "suspended".  If she waits long enough Outlook resumes and goes to the email she was looking at before she clicked on the receipt.  

This only happens on receipts from some people which are outside the domain, not every receipt requested.  But she corresponds with them frequently.  

The receipt has an attachment icon on it.  When we look at the receipt in OWA or on her mobile it shows an attachment that cannot be opened in OWA or mobile. 

I have deleted her OST file and let it rebuild and the issues persists.  I have started Outlook in safe mode and the issue persists.

When she gets others emails from these people there is no issue.  There does not seem to be a signature file on the emails that they are sending out.  

She is using Office365 Pro Plus 32bit on a Windows 10 machine that is less than 3 months old.  The OST files is about 6.5 GB

The email is hosted by a third party and i do not have admin access to it.  

Any ideas on what is causing her Outlook to freeze?

Friday, May 10, 2019 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi WGCarter,

Can you check these Read Recipients normally on the web mail?

Does issue only occurs to her client? Can other users check Read Recipient normally from extra users?

I’m wondering if there are some extra content in these Read Recipients which cause freezing. To check this, please open File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Automatic Downloading. Change to following settings and then test this issue again.

Have you tried a new profile? Please check the steps in this article.

Please also have a look at Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if any fault module will be recorded there so that we can do more research.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, May 13, 2019 2:41 AM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 2:40 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

I neglected to mention that yes I had tried a new profile and that had no effect

I made the changes you suggested in the Trust Options and that has no effect on the issue.  

The event log shows Event 3083 Search  "The protocol handler Mapi16 cannot be loaded. Error description: (HRESULT : 0x80004005)."

While checking on this I also noticed that if I right click on any email that is a read receipt it also freezes Outlook.

Monday, May 13, 2019 10:19 PM
  • Does it happen to all Read Recipients from external users? Are these users also using Outlook client?

What's the detailed version of Office and Windows? Please install available updates to both Office and Windows to see if there are any improvements.

The error "Event 3083 Search" seems to be related with search feature.

I’ve done a lot of research. I’d like to recommend you use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant to run tests which can help resolve many different problems.

Reference: How to scan Outlook by using the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant tool

We can choose “Outlook” or “Advanced diagnostics” to scan Outlook client.

If possible, you can forward the Read Recipient to our GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com.

What’s more, if your antivirus software includes integration with Outlook, you may experience performance issues. Please temporarily close antivirus programs on this computer to test the results.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:29 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, May 17, 2019 5:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:28 AM
  • It only happens with 2 read recepeints.  I know one of them i using Outllook.

The enviroment is Windows 10.0.17134  64 bit and Office365 ProPlus 32bit

I have completely uninstalled Office, rebooted and did a clean install, created a new profile The issue is still there

I also reset the Windows search index by deleting it and letting it rebuild. 

Other users with the same setup and the Cylance AV are not having an issue with the receipts. 

I cannot forward the read recepient because as soon as I click on it Outlook freezes for about 2 minutes.   

I can send the Advanced Diagnostics report.  Where should i send it.  

• Edited by WGCarter Friday, May 17, 2019 4:46 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Thank you for your update.

From the description, other user can check read receipt normally from these two users, right?

In this case, what if we create a new Windows profile to check the results.

You can send to our GBSD TN Office Information Collection:ibsofc@microsoft.com.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, May 20, 2019 6:13 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 6:13 AM