none
MS VMM 2012 R2 - Cannot convert VM from VMWare 5.5 to Hyper-V 2012 R2: VMM cannot locate the boot or system volume on virtual machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I wanted to move VM from VMWare 5.5 to Hyper-V 2012 R2 cluster.

I installed SC VMM 2012 R2 on Widnows 2012R2 as VM on WMWare 5.5 cluster. I added VMWare cluster and Hyper-V cluster to VMM VMs and Services but when I use this procedurę: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610672(v=sc.12).aspx

VMM cannot convert Windows 10 VMWare VM. I get error:

Virtual-to-virtual conversion

Error (13206)
    Virtual Machine Manager cannot locate the boot or system volume on virtual machine W7Pro-PLWROPC305. The resulting virtual machine might not start or operate properly.

Warning (3243)
    Virtual Machine Manager is unable to update the operating system of the source VMware virtual machine W7Pro-PLWROPC305. The operating system, file system, or disk layout is not recognized.

Recommended Action
    The converted virtual machine may not start or operate correctly. For the list of supported Windows operating systems go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=117761.

VMWare VM with Windows 10 has only one virtual disk (SCSI (0:0) Hard Disk 1), size 20 GB.

I got the same problem when i wanted to convert Suse11 SP2 VMWare VM.

Thank you for help.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Thursday, August 11, 2016 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

I would like to check the UR version installed on SCVMM server .

Win10 client OS supported in UR 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3066340

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Hi

I've got installed Rollup 10. It is funny... how can i change VMWare cluster to Hyper-V cluster If Microsoft can't give me real program that easy and without problems convert VMs.

I use VMWare converter for Linux, windows XP, 7, 10 VM (from Hyper-V to VMWare) and any problems. Just install and run. Using Microsot's CS VMM 2012 R2 or Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter... everything faild... what a pittty...

Kind Regards Tomasz

• Edited by Yukio Seki Friday, August 12, 2016 7:37 AM bug
    Friday, August 12, 2016 7:36 AM
  • Have you checked this link https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2313592 ?
    Friday, August 12, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi

So what does it mean:

Create a new VM with only primary partitions and copy the contents of the problematic VM to this new disk structure.

I can create ne VM with new VHD disk but how to copy "contents of the problematic VM" ? Using Windows Backup? And fo linux? If my VMware Linux VM has 10 virtulal disk? I think it start to be complecated....

Kind Regards Tomasz

Friday, August 12, 2016 9:51 AM
  • I don't have problem with installing VM guest services. My VM is running on VMware 5.5 cluster so I can't instal Hyper-V integration services.

I can't move VM from VMWare to Hyper-V cluster.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Friday, August 12, 2016 1:14 PM
  • Hi

I tried to repair system Windows 7 on converted VM (Hyper-V VM) using DVD with Windows 7 installation files. It looks like converted Virtual disk (CMDK to VHDX) is seen as D:\ not C:\, so system cannot run. How to change it?

Kind Regards Tomasz

Friday, August 12, 2016 7:36 PM
  • Hi

I've got installed Rollup 10. It is funny... how can i change VMWare cluster to Hyper-V cluster If Microsoft can't give me real program that easy and without problems convert VMs.

I use VMWare converter for Linux, windows XP, 7, 10 VM (from Hyper-V to VMWare) and any problems. Just install and run. Using Microsot's CS VMM 2012 R2 or Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter... everything faild... what a pittty...

Kind Regards Tomasz

Hi Sir,

The following work flow match what you have done  ?

1.uninstall VMware Tools on the guest operating system of the virtual machine

2.shutdown that VM

3.check if there is any virtual hard disk connecting to IDE controller (because  VMM doesn't support V2V for IDE disk ) 

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Monday, August 15, 2016 2:07 AM
  • Hi

1. I uinstalled VMtools as VVM guide docs suggessted.

2. VM was shuted down.

3. My VM has disk attached by SCSCI (default VMWare solution) so I even can use IDE. VMware is 5.5 and VM 

version is 8. OS inside VM is Windows 7, Linux Suse 11SP2.

When I converted vmdk to vhdx and attached to newly created VM on Hyper-V, system cannot boot. I choosed option to repair OS (Windows 7) and program finded that partition was letter D: not C: and partition C: was "secured partition" which of course didn't has OS files.

Why during convert proces the letter of partition was not keeped?

I susspect this is the same problem with Linux VM.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:20 AM
  • Hi Sir,

>>3. My VM has disk attached by SCSCI

Have you checked that the converted vhd  is attaching to IDE controller ?

Have you try to create a Gen2 VM and attach that converted VHD file to SCSI controller then start it ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Hi

Of course. It is attahed to IDE controller.

I can not use Generation 2 because the OS of this VM is Windows 7. Windows 7 require hard disk with OS files that must be attached using IDE. So VHD with OS must be attached to IDE. If not Windows 7 will not boot and start.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:51 AM
  • Hi

When I create Hyper-V VM and attached converted VHD, I run bootrec command line.

Command bootrec /scanOS shows that there is 0 Windows OS.

So after converted vmdk disk to VHDX I cannot run OS.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 11:29 AM
  • Hi

When I create Hyper-V VM and attached converted VHD, I run bootrec command line.

Command bootrec /scanOS shows that there is 0 Windows OS.

So after converted vmdk disk to VHDX I cannot run OS.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Hi Sir,

OS can not boot , but you can view system files in that drive right ?

Have you tried to use diskpart to list volumes to see if there is a 'system' volume ( hundreds MB ):

If it exists , I'd suggest you reconfigure this partition using diskpart  .

1.format it to NTFS

2.active it

3.assign a drive letter (assume it is S)

(I assume D drive contains OS files )

"bcdboot d:\windows /s S: /f all"

In addition , I checked one win8.1 VM in my lab , command "bootrec /scanos " also shows 0 but it can boot successfully .

Best Regards,

Elton

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:24 AM
  • Hi

Yes, I using diskpart:

diskaprt> list volume

I see two volumes:

Volume     Ltr    Label                 FS     Type            Size

Volume 1  C      system reserve NTFS   Partition       100 MB

Volume 2  D                             NTFS    Partition       79 GB

On partition "D" I see windows files: Users, Windows, Program Files folders.... so partition D contain OS files.

So I

1. Delelete letter D and C from these volumes. Assign letter C to Volume 1 and active this partition.

2. Run bcdboot c:\windows /s C -bcdboot doesn't have switch /f all.

But after restart still the same and again 100 MB volume get C letter and volume with system files D letter.

Kind Regards Tomasz

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:09 AM
  • Did anyone on the Earth converted VMs from ESXi 5.5 VMWare cluster to Hyper-V cluster with success using Microsoft VMMC 3.1 od SC VMM 2012 R2?

Kind Regards Tomasz

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>Run bcdboot c:\windows /s C -bcdboot doesn't have switch /f all.

In your case D drive contains OS , the command may :

bcdboot D:\windows /s C:

Best Regards,

Elton

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:04 AM