Exchange 2007 journal rule setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our mail flow setup is as follows:

External mail service --> UNIX mail relay appliance --> Exchange 2007 HT servers

There is a journal rule on the HT servers to push all mail out to a journal recipient, this is then sent through a send connector to the external mail service Journal servers.

An outbound send connector is sending mail out from the hub transport servers, through the UNIX appliance and then onto the external mail service outbound servers where it is journaled.

This works fine though is creating extra traffic as external mail is journaled as it passes through the external mail service, and again as it reaches the hub transport servers.  The external mail service deals with this issue, but I don't think it is ideal.

I would like to change the scope of the journal rule so that it only sends "internal" mail through the journal connector.  This will work fine for external mail since it is always seen by the external mail service as it either comes in or out of the network, but we have applications that send some internal mail via the Unix mail appliance as a relay, and I am not sure whether this mail will get journaled as it has come outside the Exchange org?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Andrew.

Andrew Hodgson

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 6:22 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Internal rules apply to messages sent and received by recipients in the Exchange organization. So, it’s depend on how did you set up the mail apps.

Thanks,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

The apps send messages from the contoso.com domain to the relay appliance directly, which then sends the message to the hub transport server.  The from envelope is set to an address in the contoso.com domain.  Would these messages be journaled if we set it to journal internal messages only?

Thanks.
    Andrew.

Andrew Hodgson

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:10 AM