none
Assign Outlook Tasks to Resources RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Project 2013 and I've started on the demo.  I can't seem to find out how to assign tasks to users in our AD via Exchange/Outlook that they can mark complete when done and that will show up in the project or in my tasks in Outlook.

All I can seem to find on this is the use of Sharepoint, which we aren't using.

Is there something I'm missing?

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 11:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• For your resources to be able to view and mark tasks complete from Outlook, you need to set up the Exchange Synchronization with SharePoint.

You keep seeing information about SharePoint because, that is what Project Server 2013 is based on, and is needed for this functionality to work.

Here are the steps to set up this Integration: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj554516.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Here is how it will work: http://blogs.office.com/2012/09/17/tasks-integration-with-exchange/

In short, there is quite a bit of set up work that needs to happen before this will work.

BTW, if you are using Project Online, then you will need Exchange Online accounts, and the rest is taken care of by Microsoft, in terms of infrastructure setup.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:19 AM
  • That's what I thought you were going to say

if that's the case, would Thiswork for allowing me to assign tasks through Outlook, and would that mean we need to use Exchange online?

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:44 AM
  • I am somewhat confused by your requirements.

a) If you have JUST Project 2013, then AFAIK, there is no way to directly integrate with AD/Outlook. There could be some Third Party Products like this one . If you have no need for Project Online or the server, this might be a better way to go.

b) If you are already using Project Online, you will need Exchange Online to achieve the Outlook Integration. 

c) If you are on prem Project Server 2013, then you need to set it up as I mentioned below. 

Hope that clears things up.

Cheers,

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:53 AM
  • The requirements are that we have a project manager.  He will have a project where he is assigning tasks to users, such as send out a demo, perform a trial, etc.  He want that task to be assigned to a user in the organization and show up in their tasks list, then once that person has started on or completed the task, they would state the progress or mark the task complete.  These task changes would then be added back to the project managers Outlook/Exchange mailbox, as well as being updated in Project.

If I am understanding you correctly, with JUST Project 2013 once a project is created in Project, these tasks need to be manually done/assigned in Outlook to be able to be in both mailboxes.  If using server - on premise or Online - this would be automatically synced without the manual step, or the use of a third party solution.

Is this correct?

Also, if we chose to use the online version, then we would need to be using Exchange online for these mailboxes.  If this is the case, would using a hybrid - Exchange Online and Exchange On Premise - solution such as http://blogs.technet.com/b/ilvancri/archive/2011/08/24/exchange-online-exchange-on-premises-shared-namespace-how-about-mail-routing.aspx work for this?

Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Yes, If it is just Project 2013, it has no direct connection to Outlook. So without some kind of third party bridge, they are two separate appalications. You could manually copy all tasks from Project to Outlook, and then assign to people in Outlook, have them mark cmplete and then reimprot everything back to Outlook manually, theoretically.

Yes, If using server - on premise or Online - this would be automatically synced without the manual step, or the use of a third party solution. But the set up needs to be there, per my original reply

As far as a Exchange Hybrid scenario, I am not sure it will work With Project Online. Exchange Integration requires security certiicates etc to be set up on both Exchange and Project Servers, which you do not have access to in the cloud environ. 

Cheers,

Thursday, February 19, 2015 3:20 PM