Software update with Hard Disk Protection on RRS feed

• Question

•  

So I would like to know how I can make steadystate use the hard disk protection in "remove all changes at restart" but at the same time update certain software, make exceptions if you want to call it that.

I hope y'all can help me

Greets Igi

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:50 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Igi, you can perform security program updates automatically as part of the critical updates process if Windows SteadyState detects an antivirus or security product it can update. Windows SteadyState currently detects and includes scripts for updating the following security products:

·         Computer Associates eTrust 7.0

·         McAfee VirusScan

·         Windows Defender

·         TrendMicro 7.0

If you are using one of the above antivirus programs, updates should be downloaded automatically and keep the virus definition. For other programs not listed above, we need to manually update them. Set Windows Disk Protection level to "Retain all changes permanently" in SteadyState before manually updating the software. In this way, we can then retain those updates.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:39 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Igi, you can perform security program updates automatically as part of the critical updates process if Windows SteadyState detects an antivirus or security product it can update. Windows SteadyState currently detects and includes scripts for updating the following security products:

·         Computer Associates eTrust 7.0

·         McAfee VirusScan

·         Windows Defender

·         TrendMicro 7.0

If you are using one of the above antivirus programs, updates should be downloaded automatically and keep the virus definition. For other programs not listed above, we need to manually update them. Set Windows Disk Protection level to "Retain all changes permanently" in SteadyState before manually updating the software. In this way, we can then retain those updates.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 6:39 AM
  • Ghetto engineering

I'm using the scripting allowance in the Windows update scheduler. I simply made a script with a 20 minute sleep and set the update scheduler in Symantec AV ( & a couple other things ) to occur 10 minutes after the update time set in SteadyState.

Works like a charm Smile
    Friday, August 1, 2008 2:20 PM