none
Rejecting Task updates from PWA RRS feed

• Question

• What consequences am I facing if I reject the Task Updates from PWA. I am in Project Server 2010 environment
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:16 PM

All replies

• MattAv --

If the data in the task update is just plain wrong, then rejecting the task update makes total sense.  But after you reject the task update, I strongly recommend that you contact your team member to tell him/her that you rejected the task update, why you rejected the task update, and what you want him/her to do to fix the update.  Then let your team member adjust the task update and resubmit it.

If you are rejecting the task update simply because you do not like getting bad news from your team members, then rejecting the task update is just plain wrong.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Dale,

Thanks for the reply. I am actually looking for a painless way to preserve the capability of pushing the planned work to the the Timesheets but not accept actuals back in. We are trying to create an actuals free environment in the Project Server in the near term.

One way would be to "turn-off" Single Edit mode, but I am not sure whether it will allow the planned work values to be pushhed to the Timecards.

As I mentione I am looking for a relatively painless way of keeping actuals out of Project Server.

Any thoughts

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:04 AM
  • Matt --

I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish in setting up an actuals-free environment.  Are you saying that you do not intend to use Project Server 2010 to manage projects?  Or are you saying that your PMs will be manually entering progress in each project?

Anyway, whatever is the reason, you should turn off Single Entry Mode (SEM) and you should ask your Project Server administrator to hide the Tasks page in PWA so that no one can see that page.  Then you should require your team members to fill out a Timesheet each week and submit it for approval.  If you want the Timesheets to be auto-approved, then your Project Server administrator should set each user as his/her own Timesheet Manager.

As long as you keep team members away from the Tasks page and are not using SEM, there is no way team members can submit their actuals to the Microsoft Project 2010 projects.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:42 AM
  • Dale,

We are looking to use the Physical % to status projects. But we want to maintain the time keeping in PWA.

One of my concerns is that wether I will have SEM on or off once the timecard is submitted the update requests will line up on the Server side. I do not want to have server admin cleaning up this que every week. 

Am I completely off base.

Matt

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Matt --

Please refer back to my previous answer.  Your organization MUST NOT use Single Entry mode to meet your reporting requirements, so ask your Project Server administrator to disable Single Entry Mode immediately

If you use the Timesheet feature in Project Server to capture time spent, then someone will need to approve the timesheets.  The simplest way to handle this is for the administrator to make each user his/her own Timesheet Manager.  This means that your administrator would make Mickey Cobb the Timesheet Manager for herself, for example.  Then, whenever a team member submits a Timesheet for approval, the timesheet will be auto-approved.

You must also ask your Project Server administrator to hide the Tasks page in PWA so that team members do not submit task updates which will impact the project schedule.  Timesheet updates do not get into the project schedule, but task updates do, so your organization must hide the Tasks page so that no team member can access it and use it.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Meghask Friday, March 29, 2013 7:24 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 12:24 AM