driver problem ati x1600 RRS feed

• Question

• hello

I cannot find any driver to work with my ati x1600 pro card with 512 mg    this card works perfectly in winxp, I am dual booting with vista the wddm driver does not work, tried all from ati,  if I use the drivers from the original card cd, vista does recognize the card but not the amt of memory nor is if finding the 3d capabilites of this card any suggestions appreciated

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 6:20 AM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem, ATI's site is useless. 

Saturday, July 1, 2006 2:38 PM
  • I have the same problem.  With MS help, I managed to install in vga by using shift-f10 during the completing installation phase, entering devmgmt.msc, then disabling the device.  I still cannot install the driver, however.
    Saturday, July 1, 2006 4:36 PM
  • I have the same issue with the x1600 when the driver installed the system blue screens. But installed has defaulted vga card none of the 3d functions are turned on.
    Monday, July 3, 2006 5:01 PM
  • I have the same issue with the x1600 when the driver installed the system blue screens. But installed has defaulted vga card none of the 3d functions are turned on.  nmx5683@hotmail.com pls send any suggestions.
    Monday, July 3, 2006 5:03 PM
  • I have the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 256megs.  The card is said to be supported; however, when I install the drivers, Vista Beta 2 stops the drivers with a code 43.  I've completely checked support.ati.com and there is no good information.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 6:59 PM
  • Unfortunately, ditto here.

I tried installing with the X1600 but it would always lockup before the installation was complete.  I even tried installing ATI's beta drivers in Safe Mode, but the damned driver installation checks for supported hardware -- which it's not going to find in Safe Mode.

Then, I went back and did a fresh install using my old 9600XT (128MB).  Vista came up perfectly -- even without ATI's beta driver.  But, I downloaded and installed Catalyst anyways.  Once it was stable and running smooth, I shut down, swapped out cards, then tried to start up (with fingers crossed).  Vista said it recognized the card fine and asked for a reboot.  But, no luck -- BSOD.  Swapping the cards back brought Vista back up.

My X1600 works flawlessly on XP and MCE 2005, too.  So sad.  CAN ANYONE HELP US?!?

Wade

Saturday, July 8, 2006 5:42 AM
  • I also had the same problem with the AGP version of the ATI X1600.

I fond a post on another site indicating that changing the BIOS setting "AGP Aperature" from 64 MB to 256 MB should make the card work.

This did correct my problem.  Hope this helps.

JP

Friday, July 14, 2006 4:10 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thanks! 

I changed AGP Aperature Size to 256MB, and it works with the Microsoft X1600 WDDM driver.

I am not having any luck with the Catalyst Beta 2 driver so far.

Thanks again!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 6:49 PM
  • sorry im no help

I also have the same problem but with win pro 64  ati has been so much help, well so far all suggestions are pointed towards setting bios and so i will try it out. I hope it works.

Monday, September 18, 2006 8:25 PM