journaling help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Exchange 2010

We decided to discontinue our third party archiving and journaling solution.
    We are going to use Exchange 2010 Journaling solution.

From my test, it seems that every message has envelope stamped.
    Inside envelop, you can see sender and recipient like Exchange 2003.
    Question:  if we are going to use Exchange journaling solution, how do we perform
    email search as we did with Exchange 2003 since there is an envelop message for each
    message?  Can anyone share how you search if you enable Exchange 2010 journaling?

Thank you.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:11 PM

Answers

• Yes, multi-mailbox search searches the online archive as well.

As far as mailbox size, the maximum recommended *database* size in a replicated environment is 2TB - bit its supported up to 16TB. For a single non-replicated database, its 200GB, so use that to scale your mailbox.

Maximum number of items recommend in the critical folders ( Inbox etc...) is 100,000, though if no one is actually opening the mailbox, that is probably moot.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi SGryzbowski,

Yes, you can search by using "Journal Rules with Multi-Mailbox Search Feature"

The below link contain step by step procedure, kindly check the below link and takeup further.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2010/compliance-policies-archiving/managing-multi-mailbox-search-exchange-server-2010-part7.html

Update me, if you have any queries?

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:53 AM
  • Thanks for the link and I am going to test it out and will update you.

>Yes, you can search by using "Journal Rules with Multi-Mailbox Search Feature"

We have standard journaling enabled on each mailbox database.  Will it still work with multi-mailbox search?

Since this is journal mailbox and it could grow up to several TB, will Exchange 2010 support TB mailbox?  Certainly, we have create several archive mailboxes for this journal mailbox.  Do you know what 's the archive mailbox limit and we can create additional one if we reach the limit?

If I perform the multi-mailbox search on a journal mailbox, will it search its archive mailboxes too?

Thank you.

Friday, June 7, 2013 1:42 PM
  • Yes, multi-mailbox search searches the online archive as well.

As far as mailbox size, the maximum recommended *database* size in a replicated environment is 2TB - bit its supported up to 16TB. For a single non-replicated database, its 200GB, so use that to scale your mailbox.

Maximum number of items recommend in the critical folders ( Inbox etc...) is 100,000, though if no one is actually opening the mailbox, that is probably moot.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the help and it is good that we can set up journaling with additional archive mailboxes for the journal mailbox.

but, I just did multi-mailbox search on a test journal mailbox and an actual message is still wrapped in an attachment of a message.  That means, legal department users have to open each attachment in every message to know real message.  see the attached image.

---

How can we let legal department users see the actual messages instead of opening each attachment like in Exchange 2003? 

Thank you. 

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:49 PM
  • When you are setting up the search, are you searching only email messages or including the "journal" type message? I dont know if that will make it work the way you want, but worth checking.

Friday, June 7, 2013 2:58 PM
  • >When you are setting up the search, are you searching only email messages or >including the "journal" type message?

only email messages.

I tried to search journal type, no results found.  BTW, we enable journaling on each mailbox database.

If I searched either "email messages" or "journal" type, same results as email message type.  The actual messages are still showed as attachments in the envelop Microsoft Outlook on behalf of ....message.  legal department users can not take it.

So, is there a way to get around? also, legal dept users need to perform additional filter on current items in Outlook and they can not search keywords in attachments since actual messages are in attachments.

Thank you.

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:22 PM
  • I dont think I have a good answer for you other than perhaps opening a case with Microsoft to see what they say. I suspect that is just how it works. 

Friday, June 7, 2013 9:54 PM