Sequencing an Add-In to local install of Outlook RRS feed

Answers

• You are making things complicated. You have to create a package using STANDARD. Since your application do not have shortcuts, you can create one for the Main Application[OUTLOOK.EXE] while sequencing & the sequencer will take care of adding /appvve PackageGUID_VersionGUID parameters for the shortcut you have added. When you deploy & launch the shortcut it'll launch outlook along with the virtualized addin.

If you do not want to create an extra shortcut, you have to take advantage of using RunVirtual. Just want to check if you have used Outlook.exe as the key name since your comment says LocalApp.exe. Basically the key name should be your main application executable name. Note that you don't have to create RunVirtual in both HKCU & HKLM. For globally published applications, HKLM will suffice.

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

• Marked as answer by Robert Hammond Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:47 AM

All replies

• If you have followed all the suggestion in the article provided such as checking opacity[Registry hive should be Merge with Local], Allowed Integrated COM & LOCAL objects & the rest. Still if that's not working then I would suggestion you to create a package by choosing STANDARD & create a shortcut for your main exe with /appvve or use run virtual.

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 3:56 PM
  • I have not done the STANDARD because after doing a mock install, there isn't an .exe to launch the app. It is just an add-in for a scanner that scans business cards into Outlook.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Understand. Run Virtual is something that will help your package to load when local office is launched.

You just have to create a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\RunVirtual\[LocalApp.exe] & a default REG_SZ key whose value will be PackageGUID_VersionGUID.

In your case the LocalApp.exe will be OUTLOOK.exe

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:24 PM
  • You can use Runvirtual or /appvve: to load local office packages inside virtual package bubble.

NOTE: You can use RunVirtual in HKCU too from App-V 5.0 SP3.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn858703%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Reference - http://app2pack.blogspot.in/2016/03/sequence-excel-addin-for-adobe.html

(Please click on Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:38 PM
  • If that is the case, I would have to have the VDI admins take care of this on the base image because I do not have access to do this. So I am unable to test if that will work.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Is this working successfully in your test machine & not in the VDI?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:09 PM
  • I tried this in my test environment and still no go.

I created HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\RunVirtual\[LocalApp.exe] & a default REG_SZ key whose value will be PackageGUID_VersionGUID and one for HKCU just in case then rebooted. Ran a repair on the add-in via the App-V client and then ran Outlook. Still no joy.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Then you can give a try with the way that I suggested. You don't have to create Run Virtual registry key manually in the VDI. We can include it inside the AppV Package. So, would request you to give a try in your test environment & see.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 6:58 PM
  • Would you be referring to creating a package by choosing STANDARD & create a shortcut for the outlook.exe?
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:38 PM
  • If you want to test, Yes You can. I have given an example in a link above.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:43 AM
  • You are making things complicated. You have to create a package using STANDARD. Since your application do not have shortcuts, you can create one for the Main Application[OUTLOOK.EXE] while sequencing & the sequencer will take care of adding /appvve PackageGUID_VersionGUID parameters for the shortcut you have added. When you deploy & launch the shortcut it'll launch outlook along with the virtualized addin.

If you do not want to create an extra shortcut, you have to take advantage of using RunVirtual. Just want to check if you have used Outlook.exe as the key name since your comment says LocalApp.exe. Basically the key name should be your main application executable name. Note that you don't have to create RunVirtual in both HKCU & HKLM. For globally published applications, HKLM will suffice.

• Marked as answer by Robert Hammond Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 6:47 AM
  • Vinodreddy,

I did use Outlook.exe as you mentioned. Neither HKLM or HKCU worked. I did try the STANDARD method this morning which did work as I do see that add-in but I have reservations on this. 1. Is it going to point to my mailbox when launched or, will it open the users mailbox who is part of the AD group for this app? 2. I don't believe the contacts will sync with the local installed Outlook.

Robert

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 1:47 PM
  • I don't think that there will be a difference between how your source works & the package works when virtualized with respect to your points highlighted.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:50 PM
  • I was able to have a coworker test the shortcut method. It did open his mailbox but we are unable to test the contacts part as where he nor I have the card scanner. At this point, I appreciate all your help with this. I can tell you the shortcut method does work without a doubt. In the long run, the customer would have to use the appv shortcut vs. the start menu shortcut for Outlook which unfortunately is not a feasible solution. :-(

I have even gone as far as drilling down to the add-in under the virtual registry tab and doing a merge with local and that has not worked.

Not sure if this will matter but we do have roaming profiles.

Again, thank you for all your help.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:12 PM
  • if the custom shortcut works, did starting outlook with the appvve-switch work? If so, using runvitrual should work too... Are you sure you configured it right? If you deploy to users use HKCU (you can deliverer the change through a custom publish script within the package, if needed).

If it still does not work, you could create a script to change the arguments of the advertised outlook shortcut, and append the appvve switch (so to the original outlook shortcut, deployed by office). At the end you'll onjly have 1 outlook shortcut.

Keep in mind... if you are creating new addins in the future, they need to integrate too. So I would create a dummy package, create a connectiongroup, and use the dummy package as entry point.

Roy Essers

Thursday, April 7, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Hi Tiberivs,

If you are referring to changing the target on the original Outlook launcher, this cannot be done as it is blocked by GPO.

Robert

Monday, April 11, 2016 1:41 PM
  • I forgot to mention that when I tried the cmd.exe /appvve:ProductID_versionID, I used outlook.exe /appvve: according to Reference - http://app2pack.blogspot.in/2016/03/sequence-excel-addin-for-adobe.html at first but this threw an error so I went with cmd.exe /appvve: which appeared as it was working but just sat there and didn't complete.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:24 PM
  • It depends, some applications will require cmd to be a middleman and some doesn't want. In the above scenario which I have explained in my blog, the Adobe addon worked fine when using excel.exe /appvve:

You can create the shortcut like this.

cmd.exe /c START "" "outlook.exe" /appvve:<ProductId_VersionID>

Friday, April 15, 2016 6:19 AM