Install Optional Applications using Post OS Custom TS RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, 

any one can suggest a way which can be used as Custom TS in SCCM to install Optional applications. Customer has requested to provide an ability to local support team to install multiple applications depending on user's request, optional selection page. 

i am aware of method using UDI wizard but i am in impression that it would be possible only in New Computer/Refresh scenario. 

Appreciate any suggestion. Thank you. 

Monday, April 4, 2016 5:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is now way to chain task sequences so you cannot kick off that custom TS from your TS.

I normally always use a script for instance that reads the information about optional apps from somewhere ad, SQL and then populate a TS variable and then use the builtin step to deploy applications from a dynamic list, then the applications are installed during the TS and controlled by group membership for instance.

So a little scripting and your scenario should be solveable, using AD groups for instance is much easier than using a dialog during OSD as it can be pre-populated.

Regards,

Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, April 4, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• Why not deploy them as available to users or user groups? Each user can then decide what to install when. But that depends on the exact requirements.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, April 4, 2016 5:50 AM
  • Yeah, That's correct. But do not want to give control to users. basically Customer asked to create a custom TS and add multiple applications as selection/optional. Now local support team has approval for each applications for user specific and they will select those only and install.

Monday, April 4, 2016 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

There is now way to chain task sequences so you cannot kick off that custom TS from your TS.

I normally always use a script for instance that reads the information about optional apps from somewhere ad, SQL and then populate a TS variable and then use the builtin step to deploy applications from a dynamic list, then the applications are installed during the TS and controlled by group membership for instance.

So a little scripting and your scenario should be solveable, using AD groups for instance is much easier than using a dialog during OSD as it can be pre-populated.

Regards,

Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Monday, April 4, 2016 6:39 AM